What Engine, am I making the right choice?

Frequently Asked Questions
richard_crl032

Post by richard_crl032 »

Rizza wrote:I'm leaning more to a 1.2 CVT based on comments, I had previously not considered the auto option at all, but it makes a lot of sense.... and why not? Unfortunately I just realised my driving licence had expired while I was arranging a test drive appointment with the dealer, so I'll have to wait about a fortnight to make a decision.

Rizza

Hey Rizza,

For me, 1.2L is only adequate and not the safest or most comfortable unless for leisure driving style at tht time. Many of our Singapore owners of the same 1.2L dig-t hence fixed ethrottle and piggyback racechip ultimate.

My wife drives our qashqai and she is fine with it but I would certainly go for the newer 1.6L dig-T without hesitation but it is sadly not available here.

Cheers.

Richard

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Rizza, we bought our QQ1,2 Manual in Aug 14 as there was no 1,6 available at the time. Before we had a Juke 1,6 Non Turbo and this new 1,2 is way way better. I thought it would be underpowered until we tested it, OK I am no Boy Racer anymore but as Steve (Splank) mentioned you have to give it some revs on take off and adjust your driving to this. We have had no oil problems and for us it is perfectly adequate and now it has settled in the engine is extremely quite and smooth - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

Hey Rizza,

For me, 1.2L is only adequate and not the safest or most comfortable unless for leisure driving style at tht time. Many of our Singapore owners of the same 1.2L dig-t hence fixed ethrottle and piggyback racechip ultimate.

My wife drives our qashqai and she is fine with it but I would certainly go for the newer 1.6L dig-T without hesitation but it is sadly not available here.

Cheers.

Richard[/quote]

richard

how is the 1.6 safer and more comfortable please ?
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Rizza

Post by Rizza »

jackdaww wrote: richard

I'm pretty sure this comment was a translation error, but I understand Richards point.

Maybe I should inform all that I owned a 2009 (MK1) 1.6L petrol Tekna which is where my love for the model originates. It wasn't the most powerful engine but it was adequate, and if the 1.2 is better then I'm likely to be satisfied with it.

Rizza
richard_crl032

Post by richard_crl032 »

jackdaww wrote:Hey Rizza,

For me, 1.2L is only adequate and not the safest or most comfortable unless for leisure driving style most of the time. Many of our Singapore owners of the same 1.2L dig-t hence fixed ethrottle and piggyback racechip ultimate.

Cheers.

Richard

richard

how is the 1.6 safer and more comfortable please ?[/quote]

Hey Jack,

Safer in that when we need to get out certain situation, more torque and bhp of.1.6l compared to 1.2L will get us there with greater assurance. Situation may be simply lane filtering when moving uphill or making U turn with oncoming traffic .... which will be scary if we find that car is pushed.

On the reasons for stating it will be more comfortable aspect, this increased torque and power will improve response with less effort and lower engine noise when called to the task.

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers.

Richard
Chudman71

Post by Chudman71 »

I have an owned a 2014 1.2l since oct 2015 and at first laughed at the thought of having such a small engine but after a couple of test drives found it perfect for what I need. Most of my driving is round town with the occasional motorway trip. Yes it's not going to set the streets a light but it's more than adequate for the family.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

Chudman71 wrote:I have an owned a 2014 1.2l since oct 2015 and at first laughed at the thought of having such a small engine but after a couple of test drives found it perfect for what I need. Most of my driving is round town with the occasional motorway trip. Yes it's not going to set the streets a light but it's more than adequate for the family.
i had similar feelings re the 1.2 engine in the qashqai and other makes.

but 115 bhp is quite enough for me , i towed a caravan around france and scotland with 75bhp years ago , we have just got used to 130+bhp cars but are they essential ?

the other concern is the mechanical strength of the engine , will it handle the turbo induced power .

this we will not know for many years .

having done 2500 miles i have had no problems so far .

jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

richard_crl032 wrote:
jackdaww wrote:Hey Rizza,

For me, 1.2L is only adequate and not the safest or most comfortable unless for leisure driving style most of the time. Many of our Singapore owners of the same 1.2L dig-t hence fixed ethrottle and piggyback racechip ultimate.

Cheers.

Richard

richard

Hey Jack,

Safer in that when we need to get out certain situation, more torque and bhp of.1.6l compared to 1.2L will get us there with greater assurance. Situation may be simply lane filtering when moving uphill or making U turn with oncoming traffic .... which will be scary if we find that car is pushed.

On the reasons for stating it will be more comfortable aspect, this increased torque and power will improve response with less effort and lower engine noise when called to the task.

Hope this clarifies.

Cheers.

Richard[/quote]

i understand your point.

however , sadly the 1.6 petrol does not come in automatic form .

for me , that detracts from comfort and safety to a very much greater extent than reserve of power .

hazzysa

Post by hazzysa »

Truthfully the 1.5 DCI is one of the best engines that they do. Petrol engines are good but economy wise they are poor when pulling or carrying loads. The diesel engine is where the company have invested the most in, Door to door the MPG should be ok, it doesnt take long for the newer engines to come upto temp.

My opinion is get the 1.5 DCi, the extra it costs for the 1.6 is unnecessary
Iandee

Post by Iandee »

Mention made above about 3krevs. I had a scenic for years. QQ taking awhile to get used to, but getting there. Is it normal/ok to rev the engine as high as 3k? I just wonder as I'm not used to that in the scenic, but appreciate a 1.2 is a different engine. Or is it the turbo that makes it necessar?
Ian Dee
1.2 petrol manual Acenta Premium Dig-T Reg May 2014, Magnetic Red. bought Feb 2015.