Noise during acceleration (video link)

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
osage

Post by osage »

Hi all,
Got my new QQ for 3 months now. It's a 1.6D 4x4 Euro 6. Overall very happy with it, apart from an annoying rattling sound. This sound can only be heard during acceleration, and only between 1800-2000 rpm (give or take). The location of the sound seems to be somewhat behind the passenger airbag/glove box area. This is a LHD car.
Here is the YouTube video I uploaded.

https://youtu.be/UwpRu8yMe_U

What do you guys think is the culprit?

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Sounds a little tinny or metallic to me. Ive not had this problem myself but it sounds like its possibly a loose or ill fitting exhaust cover. Not a major problem, just a pain in the arse trying to locate the problem.
Paddyh2

Post by Paddyh2 »

https://youtu.be/NGedGzatPyE

Had a similar ongoing problem with 1.5ntec diesel. Awaiting another visit to garage. Airbox been changed, tie wraps added, self tapper screwed to airbow. Very frustrating.
Paddy
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Dont think its the airbox at all. That only rattles at tickover, not under acceleration, and is much more a 'hard plasticy' rattle and quite a bit louder. My money is still on the exhaust cover.
osage

Post by osage »

Thank you for the input. Will have to take it to the garage to see if it is an easy fix or not.
mscoines

Post by mscoines »

Hi - did you get this vibration sounding noise sorted out in the end - I have the exact same noise now.
osage

Post by osage »

Hi,
I should have given an update, apologies. Anyway, the garage said it is not the exhaust cover, but couldn't say exactly where the noise came from. They took the dash off, and patched the area behind and around the glove box (this is a LHD car), with a kind of spongy-foamy material (whatever it is called). The result is that I almost never hear the noise now, so I consider the issue 95% resolved. Hope you solve yours, as I have started enjoying the car only after this was solved!
mscoines

Post by mscoines »

Great thanks for replying so fast. I have booked mine in for next week so we'll see how it gets on.

Thanks again
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

What was The noise? What have been done?
mscoines

Post by mscoines »

Hi,
So just got my car back this Monday and it took two weeks to fix a very simple problem. It was the air-conditioning pipe just behind the driver dashboard which had come loose and was rattling and vibrating. The movement had caused the pipe to become damaged and Nissan had to replace it. Because of the type of problem and it seems they are seeing this a few times now Nissan Europe intervened and said that they wanted to inspect the vehicle as well. Whilst doing this I found another pipe that needed replacing and took it away with them for inspection. Unfortunately this pipe took two weeks to order. Therefore it took just over two weeks to fix quite a simple problem however the good news is that my vibration noise has now gone away :-)