New engine?

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Jkennie

Post by Jkennie »

The AA said it was the fuel pump to the garage changed that and it still wasn't running. They are now saying my bill is at 250( they still don't know what's wrong) they are saying it will be 1000 in labour to strip the engine yo find out what the cause is. They are strongly advising not to do this and yo just get a new engine. As I need an engine anyway and if they find that it really is not a manafacturing fault I need to pay the full costs. My problem is if I do get them to go ahead and strip the engine what's to say they don't lie to me. I feel like in in a catch w2 situation as nissan won't take a local garages diagnostic only nissan dealer. Any suggestions? Thanks

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Under the sales of goods act you have up to 6 years to claim a defect. However, if I recall correctly... 1. In the first 6 months, it is up to the manuf/supplier to prove that it isn't a manuf defect2. After 6 months, it is up to the buyer to prove that it is not a defect and takes all the costs for investigating. Most of the time with enough pushing most will just bend over, especially if you start to 'make a scene' in the room3. "Warranty" that comes from the supplier is an extension to your statutory rights and a 'nicer agreement' between the seller and buyer to know where each stand. Have you asked them if the cam belt has snapped? Maybe they are trying to avoid telling you because they don't want to pay out of their own pocket. In addition, they don't need to fully strip the engine to get an idea as to the state of the engine's internals. There are small cameras they can put down into each cylinders to check to tops of the piston and valves. As for the bottom end, they can just take the sump off and have a look! Of course, it depends if the garage has this sort of equipment, but given the potential work they have coming in it would be daft not to have such a device!
duncho

Post by duncho »

Have anyone checked whether this is not electrical problem (ECU)? I would check whether injectors sprays diesel and also re-check timing. If cambelt "jumped over 1 teeth" the timing will not be correct and engine won't start. Jump over 1 teeth will not damage the engine.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

You seem to be a member of the AA. So ask them for advice. http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/te ... pline.html
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="Hound"][quote="jackdaww"] lots of people have bought into the diesel fuel economy story , without realising the breakeven point is around 15000 miles a year .so what is the point of a diesel for anyone like me that does around 10000 ??? [/QUOTE]Well, for me the diesel 1.6 Xtronic cost only £600 more than the petrol 1.2 Xtronic, which I thought a little underpowered for living in a hilly rural area like mine. Over the three years I lease the vehicle I expect to recoup most of that in fuel money savings even though I'll be doing less than 10,000 a year. ok , so for those doing 10000 miles lets agree its cost neutral , ie a diesel has no advantage . i agree the 1.2 petrol has inadequate power for many people ( including me , i tow a small caravan ) .what i am trying to establish on this forum is why people choose diesels over petrol . ps . thanks for response .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

did you buy the car from this garage , if so how long ago .the sale of goods act is very powerful and applies to new and used purchases from traders .legal assistance is essential in the minefield battle with the dealers agenda.the dealers are not on our side , and are very well grounded in deflecting claims .you may already have legal help , as part of any motoring organisation you are with , or possibly the car insurance policy .i have found the consumers association Which? very good , it cost around £80 to join and i got a full refund and costs on a £10k used car .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

What was result of engine problem?
RDHJP

Post by RDHJP »

It is not a reason for avoiding Diesels as many petrol engines are also cam belt driven.If you choose the 1.6 Renault/Nissan Diesel as fitted to the current QQ this is chain driven just like your 1.2 petrol engine.Depending on how many miles you do and if you want Auto or need a 4X4 (as I did) it maybe the better choice.
RDHJP
Tekna 1.6dci 4x4
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

It's not diesel engines that concern me
But any cambelt engine. I choose cars
With timing chains only.
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

[quote"]] I choose carsWith timing chains only. [/quote"]]Then avoid the VAG models.. audi, VW, Seat,Skoda. Lots of timing chain problems there.
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna