New engine?

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Jkennie

Post by Jkennie »

I have a 2010 ntec with 65000 miles. I drove from Hertfordshire to Glasgow last week and all was great, couple of hours later did a short journey in Glasgow still all fine. Next day the car wouldn't start so called AA. They suspected something to do with fuel pump at worse vut probably the wires going into it. Took it to nissan dealer and they said they changed fuel pump and still not working. They are saying that there is no compression in all 4 cylinders and that I need a new engine. Had anyone had anything similar happening or any idea as to what I should do now? The garage is saying it's due to me going over a pot hole...which I honestly haven't.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

What engine is it (petrol or diesel?). If its a Diesel, has the cam belt snapped? If so then there is a common issue with the diesel engines snapping drive belts around that year. I would be very surprised that an engine would loose compression because it went over a pot hole! It sounds as though they don't know what they are doing to be honest! If it is the cam belt, take a look at this thread:http://www.qashqaiownersclub.co.uk/foru ... pic77.html
SplanK2015-06-30 15:10:57
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="SplanK"]
What engine is it (petrol or diesel?). I would be very surprised that an engine would loose compression because it went over a pot hole! It sounds as though they don't know what they are doing to be honest!
[/QUOTE]i think they know exactly what they are doing - - a classic dealer foboff .if it is a diesel and there is a known cambelt issue , it sounds like another reason to avoid diesels.
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
omegadeep

Post by omegadeep »

I seem to recall a lot of diesel cars need major work around the 70-80k mark, including new cambelts.
A car is just a set of four wheels and four seats to enable one to travel from a to b. all other perceptions are individual illusions of the thought process.
Kev1nDonn
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Kev1nDonn »

Yes, but on a plus note that is when we usually refuel for the third time
Tekna 1.5 dci in Metallic Grey with Full Leather (Black) and Driver Assist Pack.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

If the cam belt had failed, you would think that there would have been some kind of bang, even if it failed while starting or stopping the engine. Also while cranking, because the pistons would hit at least some valves. Easy diagnosis after taking rocker cover off the top of the engine or plastic cover off the timing belt [although access isn't the best here"]].All the above, assuming, possibly wrongly, that it is a 1.5 diesel K9K engine.
Quacker2015-06-30 17:33:50
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="Kev1nDonn"]Yes, but on a plus note that is when we usually refuel for the third time [/QUOTE]lots of people have bought into the diesel fuel economy story , without realising the breakeven point is around 15000 miles a year .so what is the point of a diesel for anyone like me that does around 10000 ???
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Bring it to another dealer, I would not trust them if I were in your shoes. It's impossible loosing commpresion on all 4 cylinders from one day to another, especially when the car was running ok a day before. That you hit a pot hole is such a stupid argument that my two years old son would find a better one :D
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

[quote="jackdaww"] lots of people have bought into the diesel fuel economy story , without realising the breakeven point is around 15000 miles a year .so what is the point of a diesel for anyone like me that does around 10000 ??? [/QUOTE]Well, for me the diesel 1.6 Xtronic cost only £600 more than the petrol 1.2 Xtronic, which I thought a little underpowered for living in a hilly rural area like mine. Over the three years I lease the vehicle I expect to recoup most of that in fuel money savings even though I'll be doing less than 10,000 a year. [quote="Kev1nDonn"] Yes, but on a plus note that is when we usually refuel for the third time [/QUOTE]LOL, that's if we remember how to open the fuel flap after all that time.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Surely a total lack of compression is something the AA man would have spotted and diagnosed. I agree with SplanK, Quacker and duncho - get somebody with some common sense to look at the car! I hope your cambelt is ok.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic