Steering wheel -> creaking sound

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Reported to dealer, new bush ordered (not sure which or where...!). Confirmed noise coming from inside the cabin and not outside.

Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

You'll have to let us all know what bush it is and where, I have it but could have sworn it was the O/S top suspension mount?
Deleted User 759

He suspected that as well, but as I made the noise via the steering wheel, he went to each front wheel and listened for it, but we both identified the noise as being inside the cabin!
Madmatt

Post by Madmatt »

Hi all. I have the same noise on my J10 with 20k on the clock. On very smooth road at 5mph the creaking noise coming from behind the steering wheel. I will spray the lower linkage with GT85 ptfe spray and report back. Madmatt2015-05-22 21:17:25
Deleted User 759

Bush replaced and knocking noise seems to have gone!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

SplanK.....until the temps drop dramatically again!.....or is it indeed the 'clock spring' as commented on in other posts?
Keep us updated :)
Madmatt

Post by Madmatt »

One thing I forgot to mention is my creaking noise isn't temperature related. 20 degrees plus today.
Deleted User 759

The knocking noise was all the time with the latest fault. Last time it was fixed by lubricant but they replaced a 'lower steering column bush". Not sure what it was but its cured the problem
springhay

Post by springhay »

Looks like a common problem....I get it but only when Im turning full lock. Cant be bothered taking it in to be honest.
duncho

Post by duncho »

[quote="Madmatt"] Hi all. I have the same noise on my J10 with 20k on the clock. On very smooth road at 5mph the creaking noise coming from behind the steering wheel. I will spray the lower linkage with GT85 ptfe spray and report back. [/QUOTE]

Does the noise appear also when you don't turn the steering wheel and just slowly drive on a bit bumpy roads?
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!