Project: Reversing / Disabling Stop/Start feature

ICE, Equipment, Options
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Thread re-opened. Yes everybody is entitled to their opinion, however discussion as to why "this is a pointless mod" isn't going to be tolerated. Anybody could argue it, but anybody could argue that replacing wheels, speakers, radio antenna..... are 'pointless' mods to some as well! This mod is investigating the possibility of a small device which will turn the stop/start system into a 'default off' rather than 'default on' without the need for a large amount of intrusion into the existing wiring as per original spec on the first page. Default off is preferred by some for various reasons from wanting to extend the life of various components (that's a separate conversation) to finding the system annoying. It may have far reaching effects, as the system in other cars such as the new Juke, the Micra and the Pulsar may operate the same, so the same device could be fitted to those (research required!) Of course, there are some which prefer auto on, in which case this thread is not for you. The conversation escalated quickly last time and I will be keeping a close eye on this thread to ensure that it keeps on track.

duncho

Post by duncho »

Those interested in S/S benefits, please read this:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-c ... 2015-02-13 09:20:01
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

DanFOR INFOlink renders this address which is blank http://www.qashqaiownersclub.co.uk/forum/%20 TRY THIS; http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-c ... r-s-engine
Gel2015-02-13 08:49:14
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
duncho

Post by duncho »

Sorry my fault, I didn't test the link after. I posted from my mobile and seems like hitting "URL" button didn't do the job properly. Thank you for correction :)

Corrected, should work now :)duncho2015-02-13 09:20:52

PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Good article although, to be fair, I'm not too sure what conclusion it makes. Certainly drives the point that the components concerned are worked very hard but, they have been designed to cope... and should last.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
duncho

Post by duncho »

The truth is somewhere in the middle. I assume Renault tries its best to develop an engine which last at least as long as body starts to be eaten by rust. On the other hand, spare parts business is more profitable than car manufacturing (especially in case of overpriced Nissan parts). So they don't mind at all if your car gets broken. The aim is to manufacture a trouble-free car during warranty period. What happens after your car warranty expires is a second source of Nissan profits. Its up to customers what priorities they have (keep it for long time or lease/sell it after warranty expires or when it is written off.

duncho

Post by duncho »

Module prototype is developed, tested on oscilloscope and all looks fine. I will try to fit it in when I find some time. First attempt to connect it failed as I did not have enough patience to play with such restricted access to the switch connector.

duncho

Post by duncho »

So.. just installed the module, short demonstration can be seen here: http://goo.gl/VRHdP4It works as designed, but the only thing is that S/S switch is "live" when the car is already unlocked. Keeping 2 wires designed, the module thinks that the car is already started and triggers the switch, which sometimes can be too early. It needs a little re-engineering in order to be perfect.

duncho2015-04-19 20:31:27

aristosv
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by aristosv »

Any updates on this project?Also, has anyone tried the below on the new 2014/2015 QQ?
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The above mod was discussed on another thread. A number of people (including myself) have advised that this hood switch mod may not be the best solution to the problem as it could cause other issues such as affecting the alarm system if fitted. Just because there are no warning lights does not mean there are no hidden errors in the ECU. However, as I have an ECU reader, I maybe willing (time permitting) to alter the sensor on mine to see what happens, but as it affects the alarm system it wont be permanent! Dan reported that his mod is being tested.