Steering wheel -> creaking sound

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
QQ1.6

Post by QQ1.6 »

Sometimes (especially when the car is cold) I hear a slight creaking/moaning sound when rotating the steering wheel.The sound comes from the steering wheel (column) itself (so inside the car).What can it be?

JimF

Post by JimF »

My car is doing the same thing since the temperatures have dropped, will see what happens this week as the temperature is to rise.
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

Mine did it for the first time this morning.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Guys, try to lubricate a joint on the bottom of the steering rod, near the floor, behind the brake pedal. Do not use WD40, but teflon based oil. duncho2014-12-28 22:46:00
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
DropThePuck

Post by DropThePuck »

I get this too, but sounds like it is coming from the back of the steering column rather than by the floor, although I suppose the vibration could travel up to the steering wheel area.
QQ1.6

Post by QQ1.6 »

[quote="DropThePuck"]I get this too, but sounds like it is coming from the back of the steering column rather than by the floor, although I suppose the vibration could travel up to the steering wheel area.[/QUOTE]
It only occurs when turning the wheel fast when the car is cold.Same symptoms at your side?
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

[quote="QQ1.6"] [quote="DropThePuck"]I get this too, but sounds like it is coming from the back of the steering column rather than by the floor, although I suppose the vibration could travel up to the steering wheel area.
[/QUOTE]
A It only occurs when turning the wheel fast when the car is cold.Same symptoms at your side?[/QUOTE]

Iv got exactly the same! Some where back of the steering wheel?
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

Me too - I'm ignoring it until it goes in for a service and will mention it then unless it packs up before and then it will be a warranty job :-)
Qash

Post by Qash »

Electric servo and motor sits inside the car on the steering column according to a Nissan technicians. I also heard the sound and will investigate more. Oddly, the sound came after the visit to Nissan to fix some small problems
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
DropThePuck

Post by DropThePuck »

On closer inspection, the noise did come from the linkage close to the floor, so the noise/vibration must have travelled up the steering column. I put some teflon based oil, as duncho mentioned above, and the noise has gone away, at least for now.