HRA2DDT Engine Malfunction - Timing Chain/Oil

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
Abi England
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Abi England »

Hi all,

Sorry if this is already a thing. I am new to forums and have no idea where to look.

I have a 2016 1.2l Qashqai J11 which has a HRA2DDT Engine. I have been made aware that in late 2018 Nissan realised there was a fault with this engine model, to do with oil/timing chains.

This has come to light as at my MOT the mechanic picked it up purely by chance. The whole thing needs replacing and Nissan have quoted a few thousand.

Despite having a service history and them being fully aware of the manufacturing fault with the engine, they are refusing to help me at all.

The car turned 7 years old on the 7th of March and only has 46,000 miles on the clock.

Surely if there is a known issue then it doesn’t matter how old the car is or how many miles it’s done I have knowingly been sold a faulty and potentially dangerous vehicle. I bought the care from a Nissan Dealer in early 2019.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do?

Thanks,

Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Why is this dangerous ?

Why does the MOT person say the engine needs replacement?

If the engine has not failed - then why not carry out some preventative measures ?

If you feel bitter about this - then your recourse is to seek legal advice - maybe a class action lawsuit .... Nissan have deeper pockets.
Abi England

Post by Abi England »

It’s dangerous as if the timing chain snaps whilst driving it will blow the whole engine and could cause an accident.

The engine needs replacing as it has not been manufactured correctly. Replacing the timing chain is a short term fix - it will just go again.

There are no other preventative measures, so I am unsure what you are suggesting. If you have any genuine advice then I’d love to hear it.

Bitter is a very poor choice of word and no where near describes my feelings towards the Dealership who sold me a dangerous, faulty vehicle. I have already taken legal advice and reported to The Motor Ombudsman and our local Trading Standards.
SF80

Post by SF80 »

Hey Abi,

I’m facing the exact same issue. Same year and model, but mine was only just picked up on my MOT last week… did you get anywhere with your problem? Really need some advice as can’t afford the repairs at the moment…
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

SF80 - welcome to the forum
The two posts above are the only interaction Abi had on here, I suspect that they no longer visit.
You might try to send direct message.
Click on the user name and the option to send a message is there.
Good Luck
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
startv
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by startv »

Hi Abi England

Welcome to this forum.

Unfortunately this is a common issue with the 1.2 engine in Nissan, Renault's, Dacia and some other brands who have used the same engine as yours and there is already a very lengthy forum dedicated to this topic which may offer some assistance to you....
This can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2780

This particular forum shows the Technical Service Bulletins from Nissan themselves that shows they already knew about this issue which may help you for any complaints although from other members complaining to Nissan is very much hit and miss for any solution to this problem:
viewtopic.php?t=6787

Of note I also have a 1.2 Petrol 2017 Nissan Qashqai and have already had works to help resolve this but I had a extended warranty with Evans Halshaw who I purchased the vehicle from so they covered it however I will likely need to claim again as after their works issues have come back on months later and luckily I have obtained a Nissan Extended Warranty so let's see what they do this time, from reading forums it's a new engine that can really only resolve the issues properly which can be very expensive if no warranty but you should complaint to Nissan GB direct as they apparently look at each case individually.

Let us know how you get on, best of luck.