Qashqai 2019 1.3 engine problem after thermostat replacement

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
NikB
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by NikB »

So I called local consumer advice line, think this is just for wales 08082221133, but you can look up your local one online.

I lease my vehicle, so for me it falls under the consumer rights act ‘reasonable care and skill’ section.

As a result, the finance provider Nissan finance uk, are required to put things right without causing me any significant inconvenience, free of charge within a reasonable timeframe.

I would suggest that you contact your local consumer rights office to see how the consumer right act can be used for your situation.

DaffyDuck89
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by DaffyDuck89 »

DutchQQ wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:59 pm I still find it very special that this specific problem is not discussed on French, German, Belgian / Dutch websites / forums or FB groups.
The problem is only discussed in detail on this English QQ forum. While the QQ 1.3 has also been widely sold in the countries mentioned and people there also have Internet and FB.
Why don't you read anything about it there (since 2019!!)?
Hi, just wanna say that the problem is also present in Croatia. https://www.forum.hr/showthread.php?t=197138&page=229
At least two users experienced blown head gasket/cracked block...that is engine failure with engine replacement as "solution".

I am a new user interested in either J12 or Kadjar with 1.3 Tce engine but now I am not sure if those cars are affected by this? I haven't found this issue mentioned with Kadjar, and J12 is still too new for potential problem to manifest. I tried to find J12 or Kadjar parts catalogue but haven't had luck. Does anyone know which thermostat is used there?

Also what maniac designed this thermostat with such an obvious point of failure? You don't have to be a mechanic to see that this design is flawed. When I look at thermostat for KZ1W engine for example, the housing is single piece of plastic. What is the point of this two part design (this is not a rhetorical question)?

Sorry for grammar mistakes, I am not a native speaker.
bryfly48
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by bryfly48 »

This maybe of interest to members who have suffered with this concern a poll has been started at https://www.facebook.com/share/ghjos7XY2hm2ZYnD/, it references this thread as well...
Morricar

Post by Morricar »

Joining the unlucky 2019 qq owners today. Car failed on the motorway and AA diagnosed with a split thermostat housing. No dashboard warnings just engine failure.
Towed to local garage and after diagnostics it's still unclear what underlying cause is so garage asked if I wanted to approve labour to strip the engine to check the timing area.
I've approved today but without replacing any parts the bill will already be £1k and not running. Car has done around 45k miles and with the potential damage of running dry when the split happened, losing all coolant, I am facing a fried engine and still 4 years until car is paid off. Devastated. Never had a Nissan service only local garage so don't think I've any route to pursue reimbursement.
JLG123

Post by JLG123 »

Hi Morricar
So sorry to hear this. You’re right…Nissan UK will not help you as you haven’t used them for servicing. They wouldn’t help me either. Try contact them anyway to plead your case & if after a six week period you have no luck then put your case forward to the motor ombudsman. They are taking my case on & I am not the only one on this forum. The more of us that apply, hopefully the stronger our case will be.wishing you the best of luck
Morricar

Post by Morricar »

Thanks for your advice, will follow those steps and see what happens. Still to see what the garage can do to get the car running again, still can't quite believe I've a 4 year old car that's possibly a write off.
JLG123

Post by JLG123 »

Morricar… that’s exactly how I felt. Bought mine from Nissan main dealer- 2.5 years old, 26000 miles. Didn’t take extended warranty as I genuinely didn’t think I’d need it. Took out a 5 year loan to pay for it & have now had to loan more money to pay for the new engine.
My previous cars, Mazda 3 & Audi A3 never gave me any problems in all the years I owned them. Am totally disgusted with Nissan
bryfly48
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by bryfly48 »

Tried to get a pic of the offending housing on my Qashqai to try and see if I have the latest or old version on my Feb 2023 model, I think the picture is of the correct part, if so and going by picture of the latest housing it looks like I have the old one, can anybody confirm my thoughts TIA...

IMG20240405131626~3.jpg

joesoap8308

Post by joesoap8308 »

Greetings all, looks like my wife's beloved QashQai (Nov 2018 - 55K miles) has fallen foul to the Thermostat housing issue too. She was driving the car with my youngest, the car started shuddering, lost power and began smoking at the roadside. There was no warnings, no signs prior, and completely out of the blue. It was at a garage for +/-2 weeks, struggling to get hold of the thermostat housing replacement with no luck. I then decided to get place the ball in Nissans court, so its booked in with them on Wednesday and have raised a call to Nissans Customer Service too. We have a case number which we apparently have to activate when the car goes in.

Like you all, I find this so annoying that a 5 year old car just dies. Ill update you all as this progresses if it helps anybody else. :)
Pandjh

Post by Pandjh »

bryfly48 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:46 pm Tried to get a pic of the offending housing on my Qashqai to try and see if I have the latest or old version on my Feb 2023 model, I think the picture is of the correct part, if so and going by picture of the latest housing it looks like I have the old one, can anybody confirm my thoughts TIA...
Very difficult to say, however mine (replaced in Jan) is black and has a QR code on the side.

20240405_172610.jpg

2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)