Timing Chain - Correct Timing

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
woolyg
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by woolyg »

Hi,

I have just replaced the timing chain on my daughters Quashqai 1.2 Digi-tech.
The timing chain has most definitely slipped. but I am not sure by how much as the chain was very loose.
My question is does anybody know how many time the chains needs to rotate before the timing marks realign after being set?
Secondly how do I know if the timing is in the correct rotation if the time chain has badly slipped, if you understand what I mean.
At the moment I set the timing and have done 2 complete rotations of the chain and the markings have yet to line up.

Any information would be most appreciated

Thanks

woolyg

Tom40my

Post by Tom40my »

There's loads of vids on YouTube about the timing chain replacement as far as I can see you can do hundreds of rotations before the mark's on the chain match up with the notched cogs.im sure the videos will explain it better than me
2014 1.2 tekna magnetic red
woolyg

Post by woolyg »

Tom40my wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:45 pm There's loads of vids on YouTube about the timing chain replacement as far as I can see you can do hundreds of rotations before the mark's on the chain match up with the notched cogs.im sure the videos will explain it better than me
Thanks for your response, yes Ive seen loads of youtube videos, they don't really talk about turning the crankshaft whilst the cover is off. I just would have assumed that when the chain made a complete rotation that the marks would line up again. I would hate to put it all back together without double checking, it is what I have always done in the past and especially that the markings didnt line up when I removed the old chain. I understand that you need to do multiple rotations of the crankshaft to get the chain to do a complete loop. Surely I don't just put it all back together and hope for the best, although they definitely all lined up when I replaced the chain.

Thanks again
Tom40my

Post by Tom40my »

You can turn the crank and top cogs so mark on top cogs and bottom cog all match up with the coloured links on the new chain. Then the tensioner put back on and all should be ok if you did that and all links lined up when you put it on as you said then alk will be ok
2014 1.2 tekna magnetic red
woolyg

Post by woolyg »

From what I found from watching more you tube videos, if you want to turn the crankshaft to test your timing you need to make a mark on the engine house and get it to line up with your own markings and not the camshaft wheel markings.