key fob stopped working after battery change - no ignition - just start button

ICE, Equipment, Options
tata
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by tata »

Hello all,
This is driving me mad. A while ago, I got a notification on the dashboard, that the battery in the key fob is low. I dutifully changed the battery in both keys. Now they both stopped working. I read various posts on this forum and elsewhere. However, the description to fix the problem relies on the fact that the car has ignition. My car does not have an ignition, just the start button.

Can anyone explain the procedure to reprogram the key fob? Nissan Garage told me this should not happen. They want to charge me £156 just to diagnose the issue.

Can anyone help me?

So far I have done the following:
1. Changed the battery for CR2032
2. Checked the battery voltage 3.04V - should be enough
3. Checked the battery position - It is OK
4. Followed procedure to press the lock button for 15sec etc. - it did not work

Thank a lot
Tata

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Welcome to the forum

One thing I have read is that the contacts in the key can be compressed and then fail to make a connection.
Might be worth opening up the key and see if you can adjust the contacts slightly.
It’s also said that only top class batteries should be used. I note you have read up on your problem and I expect you already have top class batteries installed.

Good Luck
Please keep the forum informed on your progress, etc. as it might help others in future
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Do you not have to touch the remote to the start button seem to remember that
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Nohmad

Post by Nohmad »

As mentioned by David if you touch the fob on the start button and press it in the car will start.
I had an issue where my key wouldn't open the car but after performing the "hold hey on start and depress start at same time" it seemed to reset and touch wood all ok now.

However I do get a lot of random sensor issues with my Qashqai which is always frustrating!!!!
tata

Post by tata »

Hello guys,
I want to thank MikeGC. After I lifted the contacts on the circuit body and for a good measure also lifted the contact on the rim of the battery circular holder, both keys are working again.