J11 Battery charging system problem

ICE, Equipment, Options
ska_abbas
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ska_abbas »

Just went to a Garage, and he checked charging system and battery and said both are fine. He suggested the car may need reprogramming which Nissan can do.

duncho

Post by duncho »

This is normal that you have low battery voltage 12.5V at rest. This is Nissan’s intention to cope with EURO emission standard, at the expense of battery life. IPDM controls the alternator (see 1st page of this thread) in a way that the battery is constantly undercharged. There is a workaround to avoid this, also somewhere in this thread, incl. schematics.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
ska_abbas

Post by ska_abbas »

Well as long as battery is good, I am not too bothered about the voltage. Its the battery warning light and Red engine management light that are still on. And I suppose because of that I am getting other errors as well i.e., start/stop fault, and forward emergency breaking fault. If the BMS can't recognise the new alternator, it is throwing up battery/check engine light, which causing other systems to stop.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Do as you like, I only tried you to help

ska_abbas

Post by ska_abbas »

duncho wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:32 pm Do as you like, I only tried you to help
Thanks Duncho!

I looked at the first page of this thread and found the info useful. Because of the low charge, I was under the impression that battery was probably dying hence the car was showing all sorts of dash lights, but it seems this is intentional from Nissan. Besides the Garage checked the battery and said it was fine.

I'll probbaly risk spending £100 to Nissan and see if they can reprogramme the BMS.
duncho

Post by duncho »

They can reprogram IPDM, but it won’t help as the BMS logic is untouched.

ska_abbas

Post by ska_abbas »

Just spent a hour reading through the entire thread. As you mentioned the low charge is intentional by Nissan to meet emission standards and low fuel economy. The solution you suggest, introducing magnetic field, what if I disconnect the sensor on negative terminal. Would it result in fully charging of the battery? The batery indicator which was always green before, has been black 'recharge' since the Alternator was replaced. The Nissan Connect shows >13.8/13.9 voltage when car is running.

I think the battery has not been fully charged since Alternator was replaced, although the voltage is good.

Some people suggested doing ground test, and it turns out fine. One person suggested driving for half an hour with 50+ miles which would clear DPF, which might be causing this issue. However, I don't want to take this risk, as I have Red engine management light and battery light on, what if the car breaksdown again.

Spoke to electrician and he suggested checking alternator connections, and they are good too.

Very confused with no ray of hope for now.
duncho

Post by duncho »

You must sort out red engine light first, and then play with enhancing battery charging circuit. disconnecting battery sensor will cause numerous errors (DTC) generated.

ska_abbas

Post by ska_abbas »

The red engine light came up at the same time when the battery light came up, aren't they related?

Error codes I get on my OBD reader are p0380 glow plugs and p0111 intake air temperature sensor.
duncho

Post by duncho »

So measure which glow plug has failed and replace it.