Electronic Parking Brake fault

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
neilmuralee

Post by neilmuralee »

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster! :-)

Just wondering if anyone has heard of an issue I'm having with my 2014 Tekna.

I've had the car for over a month now and the electronic parking brake is playing up.

To start with the brake would automatically dis-engage as you accelerated away. Then one day last week it suddenly stopped working in the same way. I can no longer just accelerate away - when I try and pull away (trying to get it to work automatically) the car just resists and the brake won't turn off.

I have to now manually turn off the parking brake with the switch, which works fine.

It still turns on when I switch the engine off etc.

Any one heard of anything similar happening to anyone else?

Will get in touch with nissan about it, just wondered if anyone had come across it before?

Thanks in advance,

NM

andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Hello Neal, welcome to the forum.Is this a manual or auto car ?
tekna cvt mag red
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Nope, but from your comments that it appears to work as normal in every other aspect, I suspect that maybe some sort of switch is not working as it should? Has stop/start stopped working by any chance? As far as I can tell the auto disengage requires 2 changes, 1 for accelerator to be pressed and for the clutch to be engaged/engaging. I have a different response from the e-brake depending on how "hard" I accelerate/bring up the clutch IE sometimes it will take longer to disengage than other times.
neilmuralee

Post by neilmuralee »

ThAnks for the responses, it is a 1.6 manual dci.

Still not had chance to ring nissan, will do tomorrow and report back.
Billgo
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Billgo »

I prefer to let the brake off manually, call me old fashioned. It seems to put a lot of drag on the car to let it disengage automatically.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

It will be interesting to find out what is causing this neilmuralee, mine seems to disengage very quickly and I do not get the "drag" as mentioned by Billgo. If it is a switch, I wonder if it can be adjusted for heavy or light touch and if so can it be done easily. Your comments on the outcome would be appreciated
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

It will drag by design as the motor has to wind back the brake pads to allow movement which isn't *that* quick, but quick enough to allow you to start initial movement. I am used to it now, at first I really didn't like it but I forced myself to apply it at long stops and used to manually release it myself but over a number of weeks it just became second nature to drive off with the hand brake on... Only problem now is getting into the Micra with its manual handbrake.... and thinking its an auto off brake lol
ShinyAndy

Post by ShinyAndy »

Going forward mine seems fine although a slightly strange experience. In reverse it seems to have a load more resistance to releasing
neilmuralee

Post by neilmuralee »

Spoke to nissan, have to take the car in so will report back in due course
Deleted User 1203

Post by Deleted User 1203 »

Hi,Since this is the only thread I can find relating to the electronic brake does anyone mind if I hijack it slightly? No? Great.I'm not sure if this is just my car but does anyone else have a squealing noise from the brake for about 10 seconds after they're applied? I notice this more after the car has been turned off but this is probably because I tend to get out of the car afterwards :). It's quiet loud and I've had a few people comment on it.It seems to be related to the motor(s) that wind the brake on still trying to tighten them for a while afterwards and meeting resistance but that's just my observation.The dealer indicated that it was normal and made some adjustment to them but it's still there. Not sure if I should be worried about it or not as they seem to work ok.I've not heard it on any other car and I've driven a few that have this type of parking brake.ThanksHBJB