Problem with engine revs staying on

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
JetskiPaul

Post by JetskiPaul »

Hi all, I'm new to this site and only joined to make you all aware of a danger in the new Nissan qashqai.

I have the new 1.6 4x4 limited edition only 200 in uk. I noticed that when accelerating fast in 1st gear with revs going up quickly, when you go to change gear the revs hold on for a little while. I took the car into a dealer, it's been there for 3 weeks and finally got a call to say it's ready for collection but it still has the problem? I asked why it's not been fixed and they said Nissan have no fix for it? We have took 3 other cars out and they all do the same!
I contacted Nissan customer services and was told that they are having major problems with the new Nissan qashqai. They have had a few issues with these problems and I said that can Nissan confirm that the revs won't hold on completely and he said NO, so they want me to drive a car with revs that hold on?????? He then went on to say if I was you, take the car back and get all your money back!

This is not my only issue, I've had rear bumper come partial off, trims falling off, electronic faults, sat nav faults and many more.
Be carefull as dealers are trying to keep these major faults with car in house.

If you have a qashqai then check to see if your car does the same and if so take it back and raise the issue, I'm considering rejecting the car and getting all my money back as I don't want my wife driving car with kids in.
I'm waiting for a call from Nissan tomorrow and will keep you updated with issues.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

It sounds like you have a lemon/Friday afternoon car as there are plenty of QQ's on here with no faults (including mine) or some with "single one off" faults, you seem to have multiple faults. I don't know who you spoke to, but it does not sounds like Nissan GB as they would not say "the QQ has major problems, go and get your money back", they will never confirm a common fault as they would need to arrange for a recall, however they can do "internal quiet" recalls which get done at service time, these are usually software updates. A refund would be down to the individual dealer to decide, NOT Nissan GB as your contract is with the dealer NOT Nissan GB. I don't know much about the derv engines as I have the 1.2 DIG-T, but that does not have this issue. Could it be by design of derv engines (IE accelerating hard could lead to excessive fuel over run which would lead the engine to hang onto its rev for a short period?) When you say "a little while" could you define that for us, how long is a little while? Also when you change to 2nd gear, does the car accelerate or do the revs drop and behave normal? How many miles are on the clock? What happens when you do not accelerate hard in 1st? Does it happen in any other gear when you accelerate hard?
dave

Post by dave »

Hi PaulI posted earlier regarding all the electronics on the QQ,I asked whether they were made in house as per my Toyota RAV.If they are farmed out ,(!) it is difficult to know where they were manufactured,and what quality controls are in place.Software can cause grief as we all know and the QQ has a lot off stuff !!!onboard,just trust this is a hiccup and will be rectified for you and other members quickly,I pick our QQ 1.5 up Thursday.Will check out the various anomalies ,just hope the LHD models are OK.Dave
jamo
JetskiPaul

Post by JetskiPaul »

Hi, thanks for your replies. The revs stay high for about 2 seconds when you let foot off accelerator and dip clutch, it only does it in 1st gear. I think it's the speed it pulls away at and in 2nd it's slower, if you get what I mean.
If I pull away slower and don't rev high then fault not there, I kept having a word with wife as I thought she was leaving foot on pedal whilst dipping clutch but it's done same to me and also dealer.
I have had a call from Nissan complaints today and they are in talks with dealer but it may take a few days, the dealer are threatening to take curtesy at of us as it now down to Nissan???? Great leave a family without a car!!!!

I have had many problems with car and dealer so I may look like losing the plot on small issues but if you look at the bigger picture you would understand.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

It sounds like you have a bad dealer as well then, saying that, most dealers play hard ball when it comes to stuff like this! You need to stick to your guns and also "make a show" as it were in the showroom, no shouting and no arguing, but calm "loud" talking about the situation around other people who are looking to buy usually sorts them out into "getting stuff done"2 seconds over rev is a little excessive really, I can understand their being a small delay or half a second before the revs drop (by design of all engines really when you have heavy flywheels, left over fuel, turbo.....), but does seem like some sort of software fault. By itself I probably would not be too concerned about it as long as it wasn't causing the car to "pull away" by itself in the next gear, and just hound the dealer for a software update/fix for it or at least an explanation if its by design... however with the added extra faults of the sat nav (although there are software updates which fix a large number of issues, there is a thread on here somewhere about it) and bumpers/trim hanging off (screams inadequate PDI checks by the dealer to me), then I would also be looking at rejecting it. How did you pay for the car? If any of this went onto credit card, then contact them regarding the issue as they have teams that can help out, if you took any finance then they have a responsibility to you as well over the product that its secured against. I would not say all QQ's have faults though, mine is fine, as well as a number of other peoples are. Of course with any high volume production line there are going to be faults that exist immediately, but also some that take time to show up (such as the cambelt snapping issue in some of the earlier models). A lot of stuff should be picked up on PDI and resolved but some dealers are rushing through them. under SOGA, you have the right to reject your car after reasonable attempts have been made to fix the fault(s). If the dealer say there is no fix for it, but at the same time this is not by design then the law should be on your side here. What you need to do is decide on what you want to do and stick with it. Be it let them attempt another fix when/if it becomes available or start discussion about a replacement/refund.
JetskiPaul

Post by JetskiPaul »

Hi been to see dealer today and the top tech man from Nissan as been on the phone and they know about this fault, although they are not calling it a fault? He said that all the qashqai do it. Nissan have asked for dealer to take it on test and video it and they will look into problem, since I raised the issue dealer has had another 2 complain about same thing.
tomo2001

Post by tomo2001 »

1.6 dci Tekna here - mine over revs too ;)
Nissan Qashqai 1.6 dci Tekna
Johnoirl
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Johnoirl »

As far as I know it’s called rev lag. And it’s designed that way purposely for the reduction of emissions. It’s annoying but it’s perfectly normal.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Its improper throttle control and edges on a safety issue. Whether its a hardware or software fault is academic.

The vehicle at all times must be under full driver control.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta