clutch pedal naturally heavy in QQs?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Having driven a CVT for a bit, and just gone to a manual I'm finding I'm getting a sore foot/ankle all the time, although I do think I'm possibly getting a neuroma in the ball of my foot which wouldn't help.

I went into a couple of Nissan dealers and compared my pedal to plenty of used cars, some brand new ones in the showroom, and I've come to the conclusion Nissans simply have heavy clutches, ruling out a particular problem with mine as it was no worse and probably better than most.

The method I use to test is something I once read, try and press your clutch pedal all the way to the floor just using one finger on your weaker hand. Can you do it. On mine, it's just about possible with my left index finger but takes a bit of effort. Same with all the cars in the showroom, in fact the X-Trail was a lot heavier and I only just managed it.

Next time you are at your QQs, please try pressing your clutch pedal to the floor with your index finger and letting me know how easy you found it! (tried on a friends Skoda and I could press it with my little finger with hardly any effort, it was so light compared to the QQs).
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Seems pointless as I never use my hand, leave alone finger to depress clutch.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

It's good for a quick comparison, anyone can fully press a clutch with their foot and how heavy it is is then just down to how they perceive it. Some clutches are physically impossible to press with one finger, some need two fingers or three...
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I have driven many many different cars and if anything the QQ is about on the lighter side of middle. Small cars tend to have very light clutches like the Toyota Aygo. The mini has a slightly sporty 2L diesel engine and i would say the clutch is slightly heavy. I have read real sports cars have very heavy clutches to hold onto all the torque. Horses for courses.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I think the problems I'm having with aches and pains are more to do with the way I'm seated and positioned than the actual pressing of the clutch anyway.

The dead pedal/foot rest is substantially further forward than the clutch in the QQ, so I can't just swing my foot across to the clutch. If I try and pivot backwards on my heel, I can't physically bring the toes back enough from the foot rest to come forward of the pedal, so I'm probably sat further back than I should, meaning my leg is too stretched when I do then press the clutch (you're not supposed to have your leg completely stretched, it uses the wrong muscles then apparently).

I just can't find a comfortable position to place my foot when driving along that makes it easy to move it across to the pedal. For normal driving, motorway, etc, it probably doesn't matter, but my daily commute is stop start so I'm probably clutching 100s of times in a few miles.

Been driving for 30 years and never ever really had to think about my position before!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I can't believe this has cropped up as a post!
Someone will be asking next if they should use tap water or bottled water in the washer bottle!
Deleted User 3871

Always de mineralised water, so you dont get streaks down the side of the windows :P
gvmdaddy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:20 pm I can't believe this has cropped up as a post!
Someone will be asking next if they should use tap water or bottled water in the washer bottle!
Deleted User 3871

If your having to think this hard about the clutch pedal, i think you should have kept to auto's. I want an auto, but the CVT is a total nono for me.
chrisw99 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:59 pm I think the problems I'm having with aches and pains are more to do with the way I'm seated and positioned than the actual pressing of the clutch anyway.

The dead pedal/foot rest is substantially further forward than the clutch in the QQ, so I can't just swing my foot across to the clutch. If I try and pivot backwards on my heel, I can't physically bring the toes back enough from the foot rest to come forward of the pedal, so I'm probably sat further back than I should, meaning my leg is too stretched when I do then press the clutch (you're not supposed to have your leg completely stretched, it uses the wrong muscles then apparently).

I just can't find a comfortable position to place my foot when driving along that makes it easy to move it across to the pedal. For normal driving, motorway, etc, it probably doesn't matter, but my daily commute is stop start so I'm probably clutching 100s of times in a few miles.

Been driving for 30 years and never ever really had to think about my position before!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I am simply trying to deduce why 4 weeks into owning this car I'm having annoying knee and ankle problems. Something isn't right. And it can only be the pedal or the way I manoeuvre my leg
Deleted User 3871

If you having issues with the car / your leg / foot etc. I think you should visit a "Physiotherapist", "Chiropractor" to make sure you are in the correct posture for the car, or if u have something wrong that that may notice and you don't. This is the first time I have heard anyone with this type of problem, so its probably you and not the car (no offence intended). GL getting this sorted.