Potential Turbo Problems - Pls Help

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
ejbt60

Post by ejbt60 »

Hi all

New to the forum and looking for some advice. ive been advised that our Turbo probably on it way out so need a new one. Im not sure how to be certain so thought id seek some friendly advise.

Car - 2009 1.5 Diesel done about 60k miles.

Symptoms - Been smoking for some time but not loosing oil, seems to be a blue smoke (just passed MOT and I expected emissions would fail). Smoke esp bad when been idling for some time in traffic etc. Now the engine management light keeps coming on and this seems to be when we accelerate harder than normal or we go over 80 ish mph (obviously we never do that :-)). the performance seems to drop after the light comes on and the light then remains on until the engine is turned off.

Then when we restart its ok again until above happens.

Ive described these symptoms to the local garage and they have said that probably a turbo issue. im worried im going to spend £500+ replacing a turbo to be still left with above issues.

Do any of you helpful people have any knowledge or similar experience that might be able to help guide me.

Thanks is advance Elliott

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

It may not be your turbo, but many other factors I have borrowed from a web site that follows.

If your not loosing oil, then i would go for diesel getting into your oil, its a common problem. Get your oil changed ASAP to see if this fixes it. as this one is fairly easy to remedy. When did u last have a service?

Blue smoke is an indication of oil being burnt. The oil can enter the combustion chamber for several reasons.
Worn valve guides or seals
Wear in power assemblies (ie cylinders, piston rings, ring grooves)
Cylinder glaze
Piston ring sticking
Incorrect grade of oil (eg oil too thin, and migrating past the rings)
Fuel dilution in the oil (oil thinned out with diesel)
At cold start, blue smoke is often evident, and can reflect reduced oil control, due to fouling deposits around piston rings or cylinder glaze (which is actually carbon deposited in the machined cylinder crosshatching. These tiny grooves actually hold a film of oil, which in turn completes the seal between the combustion chamber and the oil wetted crankcase). Blue smoke should not be evident at any time, but it is worth noting, that engines with good sound compression can actually burn quite a lot of oil without evidence of blue smoke. Good compression allows oil to burn cleanly, as part of the fuel. It’s not good though!

Once again, restore physical cleanliness to all components. Replace worn parts where necessary. In some situations, where the engines are pretty worn, but you just need to keep them in service, cleaning with the previously mentioned products, followed by effective additional anti-wear protection, will reduce internal stresses on all those tired components, providing extended service life. Our AW10 Antiwear
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

If you do get the turbo changed, make sure they change the oil feed pipes to it as well - this is a known place for carbon and sludge to build up, reducing the flow of oil to the turbo bearings
ejbt60

Post by ejbt60 »

Thanks - Sorry - I only had serviced in August in an attempt to resolve the smoking issue so can be that, thanks for the response though.

Thanks for advice re oil feed pipes too. Guess sort of thing you would expect as standard but you never know there days with people trying to make easy money.
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

I had a VW turbo diesel that had a supposed turbo problem, it smoked and often failed to pick up, the mechanic cleaned the turbo out with some magic cleaning fluid, it cured the problem my daughter now has that car and its done 135k miles, still with the original turbo. I don't know what the magic turbo cleaning fluid was called but something similar might be worth a try!!!!!
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Lewisw

Post by Lewisw »

Hi, I have the exact same issue with mine and was wondering what was the outcome. Did the turbo need replacing? Thanks in advance.
Qashqai2
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Qashqai2 »

same problem but smokes white, i have a qashqai+2 2010 diesel.
my uncles a machanic and he cant get to the turbo sto replace it so now im not sure if i should go to a garage which could cost upto 1k.
ive been told newer diesel cars are prone to get turbo problems.
kay - london
Deleted User 3871

WHITE SMOKE occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include

Faulty or damaged injectors
Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)

BLUE SMOKE is an indication of oil being burnt. The oil can enter the combustion chamber for several reasons.

Worn valve guides or seals
Wear in power assemblies (i.e. cylinders, piston rings, ring grooves)
Cylinder glaze
Piston ring sticking
Faulty turbocharger seals
Incorrect grade of oil (eg oil too thin, and migrating past the rings)
Fuel dilution in the oil (oil thinned out with diesel)

BLACK SMOKE is the most common smoke emitted from diesel engines. It indicates poor and incomplete combustion of the diesel fuel. There are many causes, including

Incorrect timing
Dirty or worn injectors
Injectors sticking open too long (Common Rail Diesel type)
Over-fuelling
Faulty turbocharger (ie not enough air to match the fuel)
Incorrect valve clearance
Incorrect air/fuel ratio
Low cylinder compression (eg sticking piston rings or worn components)
Dirty air cleaner
Restricted induction system (eg system too small or kinked inlet piping)
Carboned up intake manifolds (esp Common Rail Diesels)
Other engine tune factors
Poor quality fuel
Excessive carbon build up in combustion and exhaust spaces
Cool operating temperatures

http://costeffective.com.au/2017/03/05/ ... u-a-story/
Qashqai2 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:01 pm same problem but smokes white, i have a qashqai+2 2010 diesel.
my uncles a machanic and he cant get to the turbo sto replace it so now im not sure if i should go to a garage which could cost upto 1k.
ive been told newer diesel cars are prone to get turbo problems.
kay - london
Spikel33
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Spikel33 »

Hi I have the same problem as ejbt60
Any more ideas?
Deleted User 3871

I would suggest a mechanic / diagnostic.