Diesel knock and juddering

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
TrickyPicky

Post by TrickyPicky »

Hi all. Really hoping someone can help before I have to take it to the dealer. I have booked it in but the earliest appointment is in 6 weeks! I have a 2011 1.5 Ntec diesel which has recently developed a couple of issues. First I noticed a diesel knocking sound at higher revs than ever beforr. No loss of power so started to think have I just been drinking round with the windows permanently shut or the radio turned on too loud but it's now developed a judder in 6th gear whilst travelling between 60 and 70 at low revs. I took it to to the garage who put diagnostics on it and said they could find no fault so then I got the mechanic to come out with me and he just said all diesels sound like that but I am sure if never sounded this loud and with the juddering it's now confirmed something isn't right. After using the wondering world wide Web I am thinking possible fuel injector issues? Has anyone ever had this issue or know what it could be?

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

You could get a "elm bluetooth obd2 adapter" goggle it and a diagnostic software here https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_GBto read any error codes. Its very cheap. I have this myself, so if you leave near Peterborough, i could plug this in for you and read any errors.
TrickyPicky wrote:Hi all. Really hoping someone can help before I have to take it to the dealer. I have booked it in but the earliest appointment is in 6 weeks! I have a 2011 1.5 Ntec diesel which has recently developed a couple of issues. First I noticed a diesel knocking sound at higher revs than ever beforr. No loss of power so started to think have I just been drinking round with the windows permanently shut or the radio turned on too loud but it's now developed a judder in 6th gear whilst travelling between 60 and 70 at low revs. I took it to to the garage who put diagnostics on it and said they could find no fault so then I got the mechanic to come out with me and he just said all diesels sound like that but I am sure if never sounded this loud and with the juddering it's now confirmed something isn't right. After using the wondering world wide Web I am thinking possible fuel injector issues? Has anyone ever had this issue or know what it could be?
TrickyPicky

Post by TrickyPicky »

Hi Dewar, thanks for the offer but it already had diagnostic tests and nothing came up. I did recently put some of that Wynns injector cleaner in along with half a tank of superior diesel and I am pretty gobsmacked as this seeks to have done the trick. No more diesel knock and my car is far more responsive and no juddering. It must have been a dirty injector which I managed to catch in time. So hopefully this has done the trick and it only cost £8!!
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Great result Tricky. I will try to remember this one should my car misbehave in the future.
TrickyPicky wrote:Hi Dewar, thanks for the offer but it already had diagnostic tests and nothing came up. I did recently put some of that Wynns injector cleaner in along with half a tank of superior diesel and I am pretty gobsmacked as this seeks to have done the trick. No more diesel knock and my car is far more responsive and no juddering. It must have been a dirty injector which I managed to catch in time. So hopefully this has done the trick and it only cost £8!!