engine idle speed RPM

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 3720

Post by Deleted User 3720 »

2017-03-05 14.54.54.jpg

Is my tick over speed about right? I ask as most times I come to turn into a sharp angle left turn at a junction say, and drop into 2nd gear with foot off the throttle, I seem to be going too fast and end up braking and dropping into a rolling 1st gear. Pic of my rev counter engine warmed up and at standstill.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

That is as it should be, its normal.
Deleted User 3720

Post by Deleted User 3720 »

thanks for replying. just need reassuring that things are normal
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Brake up to the corner, selecting second, and slowly release the clutch as you start to turn the corner. The car will pull through the corner correctly and begin to pull away as you straighten out again.
switchback

Post by switchback »

jeffers wrote: I seem to be going too fast and end up braking and dropping into a rolling 1st gear. Pic of my rev counter engine warmed up and at standstill.
You're doing the right thing by using 1st gear rather than slipping the clutch in 2nd as suggested(this just wears the clutch). Try and approach the junction in first gear so you can accelerate out. You might have come from a petrol engined car with less torque at low revs. Using second gear at low revs gives you no chance of accelerating away from the junction if you need to get away quickly if needed as the engine is "off boost" with little power. It then comes in with surge at around 1600revs(1.6 dci) and you take off down the road because your foot is hard down.

My car is my first diesel and it took a bit of getting used to. The worst car I drove for this was a Skoda Yeti diesel which I managed to stall in 3rd gear approaching a junction :oops: .
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I wasnt suggesting 'slipping the clutch'. On really tight corners I brake up to and into the corner whilst selecting second and releasing the clutch, but not dumping it, still on the brake until mid point of the corner at which point the grunt of second gear is enough to pull out of the corner. Im not even sure the turbo activates in first gear anyway.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Brake into a corner, accelerate out of it. Turbo works on engine RPM, no matter the gear surely?