Shaking fault

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
eski101

Post by eski101 »

Hi All,

I own a 2008 Qashqai 2L DCI 4WD.

I hope everyone is well this evening! Can someone please help me?

About 3 months ago it started shaking/ juddering at 70miles an hour. The fault was intermittent. I took it to a garage they changed a drive shaft and bottom arm which seemed to solve it for a week then it started again.

Nissan said the diff, I had a transmission place pull her apart and they reported no fault. They suggested a wheel place, who said everything seems ok try Nissan. Nissan now say its a drive shaft and recommend replacing again.

The garage that changed the shaft charged £80 for the part, I have not found any for under £250.. might they have used the wrong one? Ive one in my hand for a garage to put in again but I am worried its a waste of money again.

Anyone ever have this problem or seen it before please?

Problem was intermittent to start, then just at speeds of 60+. Then it was at lower speeds and now its constant! Sometimes it goes away when coasting in neutral sometimes it doesn't... Its really odd!

Thanks

Neil

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

There are several drive shafts on the AWD variant, can you clarify which one was replaced?

If one of the front gearbox to wheel drive shafts worn, the usual symptom is a knocking noise when the stearing is turned, so it suggests to me not these.

eski101 wrote:Hi All,

I own a 2008 Qashqai 2L DCI 4WD.

I hope everyone is well this evening! Can someone please help me?

About 3 months ago it started shaking/ juddering at 70miles an hour. The fault was intermittent. I took it to a garage they changed a drive shaft and bottom arm which seemed to solve it for a week then it started again.

Nissan said the diff, I had a transmission place pull her apart and they reported no fault. They suggested a wheel place, who said everything seems ok try Nissan. Nissan now say its a drive shaft and recommend replacing again.

The garage that changed the shaft charged £80 for the part, I have not found any for under £250.. might they have used the wrong one? Ive one in my hand for a garage to put in again but I am worried its a waste of money again.

Anyone ever have this problem or seen it before please?

Problem was intermittent to start, then just at speeds of 60+. Then it was at lower speeds and now its constant! Sometimes it goes away when coasting in neutral sometimes it doesn't... Its really odd!

Thanks

Neil
eski101

Post by eski101 »

Hello,

Nearside front was replaced last time, I am wondering if it is the offside playing up now..

I've rotated all wheels, checked all other components for play... Nothing is strikingly obvious!

Any suggestions please?
Deleted User 3871

Well if its a front drive shaft worn, you usually get a knocking or clunking when you have the steering over to one side or the other whilst moving forward.

I know this sounds a little mad, but swap your front wheels with the backs & see if there is any change. If it does change then at least you will know its to do with the wheels/tyres.

The trouble with a fault like this is it needs to be checked by a good garage.
eski101 wrote:Hello,

Nearside front was replaced last time, I am wondering if it is the offside playing up now..

I've rotated all wheels, checked all other components for play... Nothing is strikingly obvious!

Any suggestions please?
eski101

Post by eski101 »

Tried rotating wheels and examined brakes. Turns out the off side front shaft is completely broken! Hopefully it will be resolved after fitting a new one, although they seem to be rare and new ones are £750+!

Thanks for your help
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Good to hear you found the cause. Perhaps Breakerlink or similar site will find a suitable replacement for somewhat less. Best of luck. :)
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.
Deleted User 3871

If it is the universal joint worn / broken you can usually get it reconditioned one within a couple of days and save a small fortune. Do a Google search for "reconditioned drive shaft" to get an idea.
eski101 wrote:Tried rotating wheels and examined brakes. Turns out the off side front shaft is completely broken! Hopefully it will be resolved after fitting a new one, although they seem to be rare and new ones are £750+!

Thanks for your help
StuartSpanners
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by StuartSpanners »

£750 .00 !!!!! I would want Gold Plated for that ......Ebay dismantler's break 100's of Qashqai's all over the Country every week, Right or left low mileage secondhand driveshafts "always" avaialble from around £35.00 upwards ....or £60.00 / £80.00 for completely reconditioned rebuilt ones with 1 or 2 year warranty.....Lost count of the amount I've purchased, and never had a problem with them ...... Fact !
mcskou
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mcskou »

Did you ever get this fixed? I have similar sound, but from a 2 wheel drive, and noise is on front right wheel.