Pensioner claims her J10 QQ surged causing fatal accident

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

This is in my neck of the woods and its created quite a stir, with a lot of people claiming BS and double standards....

Low charge in battery - absolute BS. The voltage to the TB is highly regulated, and unless there was a fault that developed with the sensor and stepper motor (which have been tested and passed as fully functional) then this is highly unlikely. They have even had a Nissan representative turn around and reported that what is being suggested is not possible!

However, If the car is an automatic, were the J10's CVT gearboxes? If so, I can partially understand as there have been occasions where I have driven a CVT equipped Micra as a curt car and there have been occasions where I thought the car had a tendency to 'lurch', but not uncontrollably and I was not experienced with the car.... however she has been behind the wheel of that car for 10 years, so you get to fully understand a car after that long!

She is simply deluded with the situation!
Bob d

Post by Bob d »

My mind immediately goes back to the Toyota acceleration crisis in 2009 that resulted in over 8 million vehicles being recalled for either insecure foot mats or faulty/badly designed accelerator pedal assemblies. It took Toyota a month to recommend removing floor mats but even that didn't cure it and at some point GM, some of whose cars were based on a Toyota model got involved when one of their vehicles suffered rogue acceleration that was found to be due to condensation in the pedal sensor assembly. I'll be reading the QQ manual to see how to turn off the engine in an emergency.....just in case. Oh yes, and then I'll try it out, because sometimes what the book says will happen isn't what actually happens.
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

smacks of the volvo auto issues of the 80's(? 300 series??) iirc no blame was ever attributed to the manufacturer
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Bob d wrote:My mind immediately goes back to the Toyota acceleration crisis in 2009 that resulted in over 8 million vehicles being recalled for either insecure foot mats or faulty/badly designed accelerator pedal assemblies. It took Toyota a month to recommend removing floor mats but even that didn't cure it and at some point GM, some of whose cars were based on a Toyota model got involved when one of their vehicles suffered rogue acceleration that was found to be due to condensation in the pedal sensor assembly. I'll be reading the QQ manual to see how to turn off the engine in an emergency.....just in case. Oh yes, and then I'll try it out, because sometimes what the book says will happen isn't what actually happens.
Press the start/stop button three times in quick succession I believe.
Bob d

Post by Bob d »

Thanks, I'll give it a go in a moment when I go out.
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

i have a j11 auto 1.6 june 2015 diesel and the surge has accured several times with my car, it happens at bout 6kmh
to aprox 25-30 kmh , its quite frightening,, especially twice it accured starting off and turning a slow corner, the second time i went to nissan in Torrevieja only to be told they couldnt do any check becuse thier computor was not in the workshop. today after reading the article ,, becuse i have loud vibrating noise that only accures when cold and 1750 to 2000 revs i tried at aprox 1800 revs and brakeing very gently and the engine dropped to 800 revs , shooting up to the 1800 revs when i took my foot away from the brake (accelerater pedal constant position) i only wanted to labour the engine to see if the vibrating noise was different. maybe the fenominum is related to the gentle brake and moveing off , but i am telling the truth that it has happened to me several times, but fortunatly not lately, brianthelian in spain
brian

Post by 298 »

SplanK wrote:.... however she has been behind the wheel of that car for 10 years, so you get to fully understand a car after that long!

She is simply deluded with the situation!
Something to me doesn't quite tie-up with quotes from the courtroom if the defence were trying to claim it isn't classic pedal confusion, but she has been found not guilty.

What does this now mean for Nissan, now it has been proven that the car is at fault...? Will there be an epidemic of uncontrollable Nissans ( and Renaults) causing accidents, or will the manufacturer put it down to an unexplained one-off...
2014 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium in Gunmetal Grey.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

I was interested in the "low battery" comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-38897681
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

this has accured with my j11 for nearly 2 years the latest time the car accelerated at full throttle without my foot on the accelerator the latest time i was booked in and the computor said faulty accelerator peddle unit (i think) im booked in on the 5th for a replacement , i allways drove with my foot close to the brake pedal because the fault was intermittent. shame the primary inspection that states a new car is safe was not seen because i have been frightened for 2 years since new. (j11 16d) tekna
brian