Engine hesitation during light throttle.

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
joecheung

Post by joecheung »

I have recently purchased a 2009 Qashqai J10 1.6 Petrol. The problem I have is engine hesitation during very light throttle. When I test drove the car it was driven hard and therefore this problem did not surface. The engine is smooth during normal/hard acceleration and driving with no throttle (ie during breaking). Motorway driving is also smooth. I first noticed this hesitation in 4 gear (1900rpm) driving down a flat road or slight downhill and then applying a very slight throttle. I can also reproduce the slight hesitation in all gears. When the car is stationary I have difficulty in maintaining a steady rpm at say 1900 rpm. The rpm would reach 1900rpm and then step down to say 1100rpm with a mind of its own.

So far I have done the following;

Used a fuel injector cleaner
Checked for fault codes using a basic ODBC meter (no fault codes)
Changed spark plugs
Reset the throttle position and idle relearn
Cleaned throttle (the one with the butterfly valve)
Changed throttle with a used one (exactly the same symptoms)
Changed the MAF sensor
Checked the PCV valve
Checked for vacuum leaks

Before I do any more swapping, has anyone else had a similar problem on their 1.6 Petrol Qashqai? Also can somebody check to see if they can rev their engine to 1900rpm when stationary and hold it there for 3 seconds or more.

Thanks in advance

Next step is to;
swap the throttle peddle,
Coil packs
Oxygen sensors in exhaust
J10 Visia 1.6L

joecheung

Post by joecheung »

Quick update.

Engine hesitation during very light throttle has been fixed.
Turned out that the O2 sensor was not tightened onto exhaust. It was virtually loose. Tightened and the problem went away. If only I had known earlier.
J10 Visia 1.6L
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Good news. Excellent work for tracking it down
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
Bob d

Post by Bob d »

Well done and thanks for sharing the outcome with us all. It's absolutely typical that the fault turns out to be the last thing in your list, hopefully you didn't get as far as changing the coil packs etc though! :?
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

joecheung
Hi, I've just joined having searched for the same issue that you had. Mine is a 2008 2.0 L petrol, but has the same symptoms. It seems that the throttle is either ON or OFF, nothing in betweeen. I was all set to do all the tweaks that you did, so interested that you pointed to the O2 sensor - I'll start there when I find it.
2008 Qashqai Acenta 2L Petrol Manual
joecheung

Post by joecheung »

Hi. It certainly improved the symptom but never completely eliminated it. I eventually changed the coil packs, then spark plugs and then the throttle pedal. After all that and no difference. Spark plug colour was fine, neither lean nor rich. Luckily the coil packs, MAF sensor and throttle pedal where compatible with my Nissan Note Auto 1.6 petrol so I just had to swap the parts. After all that I have decided to live with it. When it feels like its going to hesitate I just release throttle completely or coast with the clutch down or apply throttle until it stops hesitating. This is a complete change to my driving habit but you live with it. Definitely not a pleasure to drive. I'm assuming its could be set up like this on purpose (ecu mapping) so that the engine is as fuel efficient as possible. I get about 39mpg in mixed rural and urban use which I consider to be impressive for a petrol engine and a relatively large car. If you do figure it out then do share your findings. Good luck.
J10 Visia 1.6L
joecheung

Post by joecheung »

I also hired a Renault Clio 1.2 Turbo a few months ago on holiday. I also felt a similar symptom with the throttle response. It was either on or off and in-between was a slight hesitation. As Renault and Nissan share many components then I assume this behavior could be normal on many newer cars.
J10 Visia 1.6L
Exjag

Post by Exjag »

Hi, having previously owned a 2.0L Scenic, the connection between Nissan and Renault was quite apparent. The feel of the cabin, the slighly offset pedal/wheel set up and the way that the engine behaved and sounded. I hadn't noticed it on the test drive, I was making allowances maybe for it being not my current car at the time ( 3.0L auto S Type) but as soon as I filled up with fuel for the journey home, it seemed to occur.
The ride is very rough and pitchy too, but partly alleviated by having the tyres at 30psi instead of 38psi as is favoured by many owners.

I'm not convinced that I will want to live with it, so this car may not be a keeper, especially as it was bought as low mileage car that would need very little input to keep it on the road - unlike the Jag it was replacing.

If I do manage to smooth out the engine behaviour, I'll post it.
2008 Qashqai Acenta 2L Petrol Manual