Oil Filter issue

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Good morning all. I am new to the forum and am seeking your advice. My 2000 black 1.5dci is blowing out the oil seal ring, at first I thought it was poor servicing and blamed the garage, however I replaced the oil and filter myself only for the same to happen again the next day, so thinking I may have over tightened I replaced it a third time this morning, started the car, which was fine until revved then again the seal blew out. I am thinking oil pressure relief valve? Any thoughts would be appreciated? Anyone know where its located? Or any other ideas?... Crank case breather?.....

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Welcome. I don't know much about this other than the two potential suspect areas you mentioned. Surprised your oil pressure lamp on the dash hasn't lit if there's an oil pressure issue, though.

My understanding is that the relief valve is in the oil filter itself. And the oil pump looks so rudimentary I don't think it has a PRV - or if it has, it's not exactly accessible, so if the PRV is incorporated, you'd replace the oil pump entirely. Checking any breathers you can find is a good idea. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

oil pump.jpg

Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Thanks Hound, on both occasions the oil light came on so I stopped immediately, hopefully thereby avoiding any major engine damage. I think there must be a relief valve somewhere and it may well be incorporated in the pump, its at my local garage now but they seem as in the dark as I am.. .
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I'm really guessing here, but you did use the correct oil?
Also when u removed the first filter, where the old seals all intact as a part of it may have come away & gone into the oil gallery?

For me it appears there is a blockage :(

Aldo wrote:Good morning all. I am new to the forum and am seeking your advice. My 2000 black 1.5dci is blowing out the oil seal ring, at first I thought it was poor servicing and blamed the garage, however I replaced the oil and filter myself only for the same to happen again the next day, so thinking I may have over tightened I replaced it a third time this morning, started the car, which was fine until revved then again the seal blew out. I am thinking oil pressure relief valve? Any thoughts would be appreciated? Anyone know where its located? Or any other ideas?... Crank case breather?.....
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Hi Daewar, yes definitely used the correct oil and filter. The filter seal seat is perfect, no marks or distortion, it first happened on Tuesday, the oil and filter having been changed on service in April. I fitted a new filter and 5w30 oil on Tuesday, took it a little above 70mph last night for around five miles with no issues, its been fine until this morning, when its pushed the seal (and oil) out twice! I am 55 but was a Datsun mechanic in my youth so am not totally ignorant of the basics......but this has me stumped mate.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

It would certainly make sense if there was a relief valve but it's not made very obvious if it's part of the oil pump, and the only reference I found in the service manual to a valve is that it's taken care of in the oil filter itself. An oil regulator is mentioned in the flow diagram but I can't locate a specific component. All I can suggest is an engine flush, which is a shame after the expense of oil and filters so far, but it might shift a blockage.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

I hear you Hound, its now had three five litre containers of oil through it..that a canny flush in my book! Lol....can't help thinking its intermittent just to complicate things further as it was fine for two days after the initial burst. Rest assured will post the solution....if we find one.
Please keep any ideas coming.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I'm really clutching straws here, but maybe there is a batch of bad filters.. consider buying another brand / type or just from another place.
Aldo wrote:I hear you Hound, its now had three five litre containers of oil through it..that a canny flush in my book! Lol....can't help thinking its
intermittent just to complicate things further as it was fine for two days after the initial burst. Rest assured will post the solution....if we find one.
Please keep any ideas coming.