Diesel particulate filter

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
crewmeal

Post by crewmeal »

I've just watched an episode of BBC Rip Off Britain where they featured petrol v diesel vehicles. They state that you should not buy a diesel if you're driving short distances around town because of the DPF. I've just bought a 1.6dci and drive mostly around town on short journeys. Is this going to be a problem? I was advised to take the car down the motorway for 15 mins to burn off any soot that might have formed around the filter.

Has anyone been caught out or got any advice about this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p048j0xl
Unsure which Red - 2015 1.6dci - N-Tec + usual extras including panoramic sun roof.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Dont let it worry you. The QQ will be fine. Nissan have built a system into the diesel engines that monitors the dpf and will automatically regenerate if it is becoming clogged. Other manufacturers use an addative in the fuel system. There will also be others that use nothing at all, just like diesels of a few years back. I believe the system used on the QQ was only introduced on the J11 (new model).
The running/ownership costs given in the programme are also misleading. Fuel costs are allbut the same just now, but diesel will give substantially better mileage, even on short trips. Servicing costs are slightly higher for diesls though, but not that much. The main cost is the initial purchase price, but if you plan on keeping your carlonger than a lot of people do, then that initial cost is alsowithin range of beating break even. True though, low mileage and short ownership makes a diesel more expensive. Again, dont be concerned about the dpf.
crewmeal

Post by crewmeal »

Thanks that's reassuring to know. I plan to keep this car for at least 4 years with an average milage of 10k per year. I understand servicing can be expensive but as this was a demo model with 5k on the clock I don't have to worry for the next 13,000 miles.
Unsure which Red - 2015 1.6dci - N-Tec + usual extras including panoramic sun roof.
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

crewmeal wrote:Thanks that's reassuring to know. I plan to keep this car for at least 4 years with an average milage of 10k per year. I understand servicing can be expensive but as this was a demo model with 5k on the clock I don't have to worry for the next 13,000 miles.
I don't think service intervals are just based on mileage. Mine (1.5DCI) is 18,000 or 12 months whichever comes first.
2014 (64) QashQai 1.5 dci Tekna in Blade Silver