1.2 Dig-t Tappet noise at tickover.

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
bigk

Post by bigk »

My apologies if this question has been asked before (I went on search but could find nothing). I was checking the oil after which I decided to listen to the engine at tickover. I have not done this before with this car. The engine was warm. I started it up and was surprized at how "tappety" the engine sounded! You cannot here it inside the car or while driving/accelerating and it is running well. It does not sound like a timing chain noise or any kind of unusual knocking noise. I have had/ listened to many car and motorcycle engines over the past 45 years and I have to say that this is one of the noisier ones. It is not using any oil since the ecu download some 5000 miles ago. So is this tappet noise normal for this engine?

Thanks in anticipation of your answers and feel free to tell me I'm a silly old sod who worries unnecessarily!!
QQ 1.2 CONNECT With Panoramic Sunroof Vivid Blue December 2017

rigga

Post by rigga »

If its a direct injection engine as I suspect most modern one's are due to emissions, they tend to sound tappety, my mini certainly does.
Last edited by rigga on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 n connector 1.2 xtronic auto ink blue J11
2019 n connector 1.3 dsg auto metallic red J11
2022 Tekna 1.3 xtronic auto ink blue J12
bigk

Post by bigk »

Thanks for your reply rigga. Maybe all the 1.2 Dig-t engines sound like this? Any more comments on this before I ask the dealer who will probably say "they are all like this, sir!"?
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I concure with the tapping noise on direct injection engines. I had a mini Cooper s, just keep through bonnet down with the engine running ;)
bigk

Post by bigk »

Thanks for the replies folks. I spoke to the Nissan service manager at my local garage who, predictably, said that the noises I described sounded normal but to pop in sometime to let him listen to it for confirmation. He also said that the injectors can sometimes sound a bit noisy, imitating a "tappety" sound. However, all sounds as described on paper/over the phone are very subjective!
Richo

Post by Richo »

Don't believe a word they say. They are trained liars. They will admit to nothing of concern. All they are interested in is taking money from you. Don't be fobbed off with its OK. Modern engines don't make tappet noises. The 1.2 had issues with under size pistons and loose gudgeon pins. Both concerns result in a new engine
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I guess it all depends on what the sound realy is.

Direct injection petrol engines do make a tapping noise on the top side of the engine, I've been there, listened to it and gotten t-shirt. If you have ever owned an R56 mini Cooper s you've probably had the death rattle as well.

But your also right about garages wanting to fob off customers. But think of it from there point of view, there must be many an occasion where a customer just wants to moan.

Each situation needs to be assessed on its merits.
Richo wrote:Don't believe a word they say. They are trained liars. They will admit to nothing of concern. All they are interested in is taking money from you. Don't be fobbed off with its OK. Modern engines don't make tappet noises. The 1.2 had issues with under size pistons and loose gudgeon pins. Both concerns result in a new engine
bigk

Post by bigk »

The noise sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine where the tappets are located and it sounds like 16 tappets all tapping away as though the gaps are too wide if that makes sense. Of course, I realise that he tappets are hydraulic and not adjustable as such. I am used to listening to engines,first of all with my dad who was an enthusiast and then in my own right having owned vehicles for the past 46 yrs so I would not have asked the question IF I didn't think the tappets seemed rather loud.
I think it is in the interest of decent dealers to keep their customers sweet if they want repeated sales and if there is any waranty work to be done, they will be paid for it.