1.6 diesel tappity sound

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
stuiow

Post by stuiow »

Hi all,

Qashqai in for its service in 3 weeks.
I am going in there with a few things I want sorting, but want clarification on one thing I am not sure it a "feature" of the engine or not.

Basically, say I am cruising at 40mph with no accelerator, just in 4th/5th gear.
I then apply SOME accelerator, when I do, or a second or 2, I get a tappity sound from the engine (when there is a little bit of load on engine).
Once in turbo territory/move accelerator down further, the rattle/tappity sound goes.

Is that normal? I have only noted it in the last few months, don't recall it in the first few months of ownership.
(it's a 65 reg).

Cheers all
Stuart

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Have you been driving with your window open for a change, and are possibly just hearing something that has always been there?
stuiow

Post by stuiow »

That did cross my mind but thats why im posting here.
Wondering if any other 1.6 owners hear the same thing so i wont have to worry/mention it.
StewartP
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by StewartP »

Possibly the fuel injection system changing the injector timings or phasing in response to change in engine load ? It can give rise to a bit of " diesel rattle " at times. From what I've read one of the few minor issues with the 1.6 is that it has to do without the acoustic engine cover due to possible temperature issues from a close coupled exhaust/turbo setup, this makes engine noise more pronounced relative to the ( shielded) 1.5dci. A couple of possible reasons why you maybe haven't noticed before is that the engine management system will adapt as the engine beds in from new so fuelling levels will change over time.Also external temperatures might play a part, on a 65 plate the first few months were in the cooler autumn/winter period ? now we're in higher summer temps.

One other thought that just occurred to me, same regular fuel source or different ? Not all diesel is the same, I've experienced rough running in the past with supermarket fuel that cleared once I returned to branded fuel.
Hopefully others will be along shortly to advise whether this is just a " feature " of the engine or something more of an issue.
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
stuiow

Post by stuiow »

Thats a good in depth reply so im pretty satisfied what you've said there, learnt a bit there too.

Injectors/timing/load seems to fit pretty nicely.

I use the same fuel, Morrisons.
StewartP
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by StewartP »

Not an attempt to slate Morrisons or anything but it was a tank of their diesel that gave the rough running I mentioned ( it was a needs must purchase as they were closest at the time,I normally use BP or Shell ) I know of others who had dpf issues that cleared once they moved to branded fuel, I'd respectfully suggest a tankful of something branded-perhaps premium to clean things out- and I suspect you will find general combustion noise will ease back once it's worked through the system.
If you decide to give it a try I'd be genuinely interested to hear if you did find a reasonable difference, I speak from my own experiences but would hate to be offering possible advice that is erroneous for others.
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
switchback

Post by switchback »

I tried to recreate the "problem" last night at different engine temperatures with my 11000 mile 1.6 and couldn't. I always use a branded fuel and never fill-up with supermarket rubbish after being told by a Ford engineer who had carried-out engine trials on the stuff to "never use supermarket diesel".
Last edited by switchback on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
stuiow

Post by stuiow »

Ok, next time tank is low, I'll fill with something else.
Not sure what branded stations there are around me, Supermarket fuel dominate my local area. (Isle of Wight).
There is a co-op near by, think they may have a branded fuel.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Esso petrol
MALTHURST NORTHWOOD GARAGE
341-351 NEWPORT ROAD
PO31 7PS ISLE OF WIGHT
UNITED KINGDOM
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

switchback wrote:I tried to recreate the "problem" last night at different engine temperatures with my 11000 mile 1.6 and couldn't. I always use a branded fuel and never fill-up with supermarket rubbish after being told by a Ford engineer who had carried-out engine trials on the stuff to "never use supermarket diesel".
It doesn't matter where you buy yiur fuel from, either supermarket or branded, as its all the same from the same tanks at the same refineries. The only difference is any addative that may be added by the seller at the filling station. I say 'may be added' as I have watched deliveries taking place and there was no sign at all of anything extra going into the underground tanks. Ive used supermarket fuels for years and years now, primarily Sainsburys but also Tesco, Asda and have now moved on to Costco. On the odd occasion I have had to use a branded fuel ive noticed no difference whatsoever in either performance or economy. The only difference is price. Theydriving organisations will tell you exactly the same as well.
Fuels sold in the UK have to adhere to strict standards of manufacture and quality. The engine manufacturers build their engines accordingly, not just to run on branded fuels.