1.6 diesel tappity sound

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
switchback

Post by switchback »

Looks like the Ford research and results was wrong then.......................................Can't work out why it was only Tesco fuel stations that had contaminated fuel a couple of years ago when it all came from the same supply?

It probably depends on your car but in the past with my Mazda's I found that using supermarket petrol knocked about 3mpg off my fuel figures compared to branded fuel. Super un-leaded was 3 to 4mpg better but wasn't worth the extra cost. You do need to go through a couple of tank fill-ups with the new fuel to get an accurate result though.

According the The Telegraphs "Honest John", manufacturers use super un-leaded for their fuel consumption figures.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.

StewartP
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by StewartP »

@ stuiow Ahh, didn't make the island connection from your username initially so didn't realise you'd be a little more constrained in your choice of suppliers. I see a Esso station has been listed though.

@gvmdaddy I'm sure you speak from your experience and have had no issues with supermarket fuel, I speak from mine and others who have-both diesel and petrol. " Switchback " makes several of the points I'd also normally flag.
Something that's more of an issue now than in the past is that modern engines are more stressed, 100-120 bhp/litre isn't uncommon now versus 60 odd bhp/litre a few years ago, their emissions are much more tightly controlled-in the test lab,anyway- and every gram of CO2 is chased for tax bands. Logically manufacturers will " game " the testing regimes with engines tuned to the best available "standard " fuels, they'll still run on poorer stuff but the variation will be much more marked than before.

Sadly the days when you could chuck any old rubbish in a diesel-especially- and it would still rattle away are gone, ask any of those who've chanced their arm with red diesel how long the injector pumps lasted...
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Red diesel is not an inferior product, it is purely a product that is taxed at a lower rate. The problem of blocked injectors is a result of the dye being powder based as opposed to liquid based, just the same as inkjet printers commonly encounter now. If branded fuel makes the difference you say it does, then why dont motor manufacturers endorse particular ones?
StewartP
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by StewartP »

You're correct that red diesel isn't an inferior product but its efficacy is compromised by the dye, which in turn is emphasised by the much finer tolerances and higher pressures of today's systems relative to the old mechanical pumps of yore. I used it just as an example of how modern setups are much less indulgent of the quality of fuels.
Why don't manufacturers endorse: good question,don't really have an easy answer, my take is that it's probably down to liability nowadays. To endorse a certain fuel when so many of the variables about how the fuel is used are outwith their control is asking for trouble in todays world, you only have to look at the complaints about promised economy figures vs actual as one example.
In the back of my mind I'm sure I've seen tie-ups in the past but can't place where. Actually, one current example, just remembered the ad, Ferrari and Shell ! Don't think it extends to diesel though..

In closing I'll refer back to one of my first points, different experiences. For yourself supermarket fuels work, that's good. For me, they didn't. We speak to what we've found, and life would be dull if we were all the same. Live and let live !
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Try telling that to my son with a an air cooled VW camper he tried branded fuel for
The first time and was amazed to go up hills in a higher gear. I put that down to
Being a basic engine without a computer controlled engine so I deduce our engines must
Compensate electronically for the lower graded fuel by advancing/retarding ignition
Especially when using higher octane. As for fuel coming from the same tanks
At refinery have you ever watched the coke/lemonade you get from a pub it all
Comes out of same pipe depends on which button you press to get the mixture.