Random braking/juddering from start off

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
mojocyprus

Post by mojocyprus »

Hello, I am new to this forum as I have just taken delivery of my 2011 Qashqai 1.5dci, which was shipped to Cyprus where I live. I bought this car as I know that engine which is in my Renault Megane CC and is great, and also because most Qashqai ownership reports are very favourable generally.

Anyway, since taking delivery I have had a very strange and random occurrence. About 3 times now over 2 the months its been here when moving away from standing the car has suddenly and violently started braking/shuddering in a way that I can only describe as being like the tyre is suddenly rubbing badly on some bodywork. (It is not doing that by the way.) You can then drive through this problem, that goes away just as suddenly, and thereafter when driving at speed the problem has never shown itself. I have already begun to suspect the ABS, (??) but that is purely a guess and I can tell you that no warning lights come on to my knowledge, albeit that it is hard to be dealing with a violently braking car and looking at the dashboard at the same time.

Any ideas anyone please? Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I had the same problem with my previous car which was a Megane 1.6 petrol.i really did feel as if the abs was kicking in of its own accord. The only thing I did was give under the car and behind the wheels a really good clean with a powere wash. This worked and on the odd occasion theproblem returned then a quick power wash rectified it. I honestly thought I was in for an expensive repair bill.
mojocyprus

Post by mojocyprus »

Thanks for that. It is true to say that my Qashqai had been a bit off road recently (perhaps 2 days before the latest episode,) on some dusty bumpy tracks, but it is hard to imagine why a bit of dirt/dust should make any difference? Strangely, the only Internet search return that I have found thus far, for random braking like mine, quotes this as one of 4 symptoms of the ABS control unit failing, but my car does not have any of the other 3 symptoms stated like warning lights etc. Normally loads of stuff comes up on any similar search, but not this time.