1.5dci Oil Level Low - Just 5k miles ?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Jag1629

Post by Jag1629 »

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a 16 reg Qashqai (5 months old with 5300 miles). I am getting "Low Engine Oil" message on the display, I'd be thankful if previous owners of Qashqai 1.5dci could clarify my queries

1) If anyone else got the same message of "Low Engine Oil" on new Qashqai with such low mileage and Is it common, what could be the reason?. I am concerned if this is an Engine Issue :?

2) On my old car, I used to check the engine oil level on dip stick and top it up. Would you recommend me to do the same on my new Qashqai or get in touch with dealer ?

I'd sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I dont want to sound rude, but if you either dont know how to, or just cant be bothered dipping your oil to check the level, the frankly you shouldnt be driving a car.
As far as im aware the oil warning on the dash indicates low oil pressure, not necessarily low oil level. This could be caused by a blockage or blocked oil filter I presume. The oil is also monitored to prevent excessive use when its past its best, but im not aware what the warning shows up as. Anyway, dipping your oil would be a good start.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

The dealer should have checked your oil prior to you buying the car. It's unfortunate that you haven't also done so before now, but if you now find the level is very low, contact them and get it sorted out, and continue to monitor oil use from now on.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Jag1629

Post by Jag1629 »

Thanks for your advise. I am planning to check the oil level tomorrow, talk to dealer and top it up then closely monitor the oil level.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Also search (using box in top left corner) for "1.5dci oil level"- one or two others had issue. :(
Last edited by Gel on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Gel wrote:Also search (using box in top left corner) for "1.5dci oil level"- one of two others had issue. :(
To be fair, its been more of a problem with the earliest 1.2 petrol varients off the production line.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Sorry but I also below to the "if that sort of warning pops up on the screen I jump out and check the dipstick immediately" camp here too.

The manual doesn't suggest a "Low Engine Oil" warning is given - it includes two possibles: "Low Oil Pressure Stop Vehicle" or "Oil Level Low".

17. [Low oil pressure stop vehicle]
warning
This warning appears in message area of the vehicle
information display if low oil pressure is detected.
This gauge is not designed to indicate low
oil level. The low oil pressure warning is not designed
to indicate a low oil level. Use the dipstick to
check the oil level. See “Engine oil” in the “8. Maintenance
and do-it-yourself” section.)
CAUTION
The oil level should be checked regularly using
the engine oil dipstick. Operating with an insufficient
amount of oil can damage the engine and
such damage is not covered by the warranty.

18. [Oil Level Low] warning
This warning appears in message area of the vehicle
information display if the oil level is not sufficient
for driving. Park the vehicle at a safe location
as soon as possible and use the dipstick to check
the oil level. See “Engine oil” in the “8. Maintenance
and do-it-yourself” section If the oil level is not sufficient
for driving, top up the engine oil with the recommended
engine oil. “Engine oil” in the “8. Maintenance
and do-it-yourself” section.)
CAUTION
The oil level should be checked regularly using
the engine oil dipstick. Operating with an insufficient
amount of oil can damage the engine and
such damage is not covered by the warranty

Are you suggesting that car engines don't use oil at all? It's perfectly common for a car to require topping up between services.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

have to say I only check my oil level when the washer bottle empties. My 1.5 dci in my 2 years of ownership dosent really use any oil. over the year it never been below the low level so no need to top up.
Simmo