1.2 engine issues

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
adibranch

Post by adibranch »

Hi all, I just thought i'd ask then general opinion on the 1.2 engines.

I've had mine for a year, its done around 4000 miles. It was run in nicely so that shouldn't be an issue. I've been concerned for a while that mine is very tappy under load.. sounded like it was about to have bearing issues. This has now got worse, and its definitely got what sounds like rod knock at about 2500-3000 revs (which is spot on revs for that kind of thing) when accelerating.

Is this engine known to have noise/bearing/rod knock? I thought I might have been unlucky, but reading around it seems this is quite common?

The other couple of issues is that the turbo noise is really prominent and loud, and the average MPG is pretty bad at around 32 mpg around town, maximum 42mpg on a 60mph motorway run. Is that about right for the 1.2?

I'm going to get it to the dealer for the rod knock, but I don't hold out much hope of them diagnosing it. Have people had new engines because of this? Oil is fine by the way.. not that you can tell really with the appalling dipsticks that are fitted.

In general, i'm not too impressed with the mechanics of this car. theres a lot of noises when braking and pressing clutch etc.. The old qashqai was much better built mechanically.

Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

I came from a juke nismo but on the juke forums there were quite a few people with oil issues on the 1.2 which I believe is the same engine in the qq. Have you checked the oil ? Would this information help you ? Also people moaned a lot about the mpg on this engine. No way it's that economical unless on motorway journeys. Keep us posted
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
adibranch

Post by adibranch »

I've checked the oil.. it *seems* fine but to be honest the dipstick (or the route it takes) is pretty abysmal, and its incredibly difficult to tell whether its low or high, as the whole thing comes out covered at random parts.

I have noticed it burns a bit when accelerating hard .. you cant see in the daylight but if there is a car behind at night times you can see some tell tale signs of smoke behind you.
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Then I suggest mention this to the dealer. It's possible engine damage from high use of oil or not much oil in the engine.
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
adibranch

Post by adibranch »

I will book it in, but I don't hold out much hope of them diagnosing it correctly. To me, this is definite rod knock from a manufacturing fault.

I've been checking the oil regularly, as I say it *looks* like its just below full, but that dipstick channel design is appalling as it picks up so much stray oil when pulling it in and out, it messes up the reading.

So, from your time on the forums, have you known these engines to have bearing issues?
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

There is no known issue with the bearings themselves, however if the oil has run below low, then there is a possibility that damage could have been done to the bearings.

It could just be unfortunate that your engine could be a lemon.

You say you have had it a year? Has it been serviced recently? If so and you didn't check the level before it went in for a service it could have lost during your first 12 months of driving,.
adibranch

Post by adibranch »

The engine was left overnight to check the oil, and it seems the best way to get a decent reading on that dipstick is to check it after first removing it from a completely cold engine that has sat for at least 24 hours. If you put it back in and recheck it (or check when the engine is even slightly warm) it gets covered in oil from inside the dipstick tube and it ruins the reading.

Anyway, oil is fine, just under the full mark. The engine has done 6000 miles and is shortly due for its first service at 12 months. I'm going to have to book it in before that though, as there is clearly something wrong.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Agreed re sending it in.

However it has been reported that the cam chain tensioner could be faulty, or not applying enough tension to the chain so fingers crossed it could be that. This is more of a rattle though, where a rod knock would be lower pitched and more of.... well a knock!
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

If it's not oil then hopefully no engine damage and it maybe the cam chain and hopefully that's the end of it. Keep us posted. Fingers crossed
All the best
Paul
Bradbury001

Post by Bradbury001 »

Hi All,

I am writing this post to inform you of my Nissan Juke issues. I have had the 1.2 DIG Nissan Juke car for 1 year. 65 Plate reg car which has been in the garage now 9 times. Firstly the car was making lots of rattling noise from the engine and we were told it was the Piston rings. The car was in the garage for 4 weeks and it was completed. The car started to make noise again and then I was told that the oil was burning up. The car went into the garage and then i was told that it was something to do with a switch in the engine. It lasted 2 months and then the Piston rings were changed again. It has lasted 6 months and now its booked in again with a large noise coming from the engine again. it is booked into the garage on Monday and Nissan Customer services have stated that an engine may need to be changed.