1.6 dig-t ecu update/recall

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Dw350zQQ

Post by Dw350zQQ »

Just had a call from Nissan to return my car to the dealer for an engine ecu update on my 2015 1.6 dig-t Tekna. Anyone know what this is about?
Gun Metal Grey J11 2015 Qashqai 1.6 DIG-T Tekna. Chrome wing mirrors. Crossover pack. Chrome front lip. Chrome rear tail gate trim.

craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Theres nothing listed on the DVSA site.
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
Dw350zQQ

Post by Dw350zQQ »

Yes had a look myself and can't find anything . But Nissan did phone me to get it booked in.
Gun Metal Grey J11 2015 Qashqai 1.6 DIG-T Tekna. Chrome wing mirrors. Crossover pack. Chrome front lip. Chrome rear tail gate trim.
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Mines going in early September for its 6 month free health check. I'll ask then if they do anything
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Hi Guys,

I am very interested in the Nissan requested engine ecu update on 2015 1.6 dig-t Tekna, as reported by Dw350zQQ?

I have long thought that there is a problem with the way this engine delivers its initial torque from a standing start, i.e. when pulling away from traffic lights or from a junction, etc. There is a definite and significant 'flat spot' up to about 15 MPH in first gear, after which the power is suddenly available!
It does make it very difficult to produce a clean and smooth take off, without some very deft work with double feathering of the clutch pedal? It is very annoying but I have learnt to live with it....(so far anyway). Has anyone else noticed this with the 1.6 Dig-T (petrol) engine? I can not believe it is just my car? If so, it would be great to think Nissan may have a fix for this?

Please do let us know what the Nissan requested update is supposed to fix?????

By the way , I have not (yet) had any request from Nissan for an ecu update, only me asking them for one!

1.6 Dig-T Tekna, registered May 2015
R
Dw350zQQ

Post by Dw350zQQ »

I agree with you Ricky that there is a very poor low down flat spot in the early rev range. I have stalled my car on the odd occasion because like you say you have to concentrate on it to get a clean get away.

I did ask yesterday what the fix was for but she only worked on the service desk and she didn't know what it was. My car was registered in Sept 2015, it goes for the ecu update on the 4th Aug. When i take it i will try and find someone technical to explain what the update is about.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Ricky wrote:Hi Guys,

I am very interested in the Nissan requested engine ecu update on 2015 1.6 dig-t Tekna, as reported by Dw350zQQ?

I have long thought that there is a problem with the way this engine delivers its initial torque from a standing start, i.e. when pulling away from traffic lights or from a junction, etc. There is a definite and significant 'flat spot' up to about 15 MPH in first gear, after which the power is suddenly available!
It does make it very difficult to produce a clean and smooth take off, without some very deft work with double feathering of the clutch pedal? It is very annoying but I have learnt to live with it....(so far anyway). Has anyone else noticed this with the 1.6 Dig-T (petrol) engine? I can not believe it is just my car? If so, it would be great to think Nissan may have a fix for this?

Please do let us know what the Nissan requested update is supposed to fix?????

By the way , I have not (yet) had any request from Nissan for an ecu update, only me asking them for one!

1.6 Dig-T Tekna, registered May 2015
'fethering the clutch', I take it you mean 'slipping' the clutch more than usual?
Not wise as the plates will wear significantly quicker.
I would presume the update is to alter the fuel mix at low revs, or to introduce the turbo at lower revs than present.
Remember it's a practical, economical, mid sized family car, not a sportster.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Dear Dw350zQQ, Many thanks for confirming this anomaly. At my age I am certainly no boy racer, but just want to simply obtain a smooth slow pull away from a standing start. Most of the time I can compensate the flat spot with a combination of very careful throttle control and almost a double de-clutch action until above 15 MPH. This usually works but it can still catch you out and almost stall the engine as you rightly say! I am also very conscious of additional wear on the clutch plates, be have no choice if engine stall is to be avoided at traffic lights etc.
I did think it requires a re-map of the throttle pedal response curve...but I think that gvmdaddy is nearer the mark when he says that he 'would presume the update is to alter the fuel mix at low revs, or to introduce the turbo at lower revs than present'. It could well be a turbo issue, in which case would be generic to many others owners cars?

Hopefully we can get some more data on this from other members, and establish from Nissan if their update is likely to fix this issue?

Please let us know!
R
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Remember, its quite a hefty vehicle thats set up for economy and low exhaust emissions. I personally dont think its a question lof low torque at low revs in first gear, I think the ratio of the first gear is lower than most of us are used to. If it was a torque problem then wouldnt the same percieved lack of power also happen in the other gears as well? You get used to it over time.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Dear gvmdaddy,
Thanks for the helpful comments and I can see where you are coming from with the idea that the flat spot problem is exaggerated with having an ultra low 1st gear. However, thinking about it, having a lower 1st gear would in fact increase the effective value of 'r' (the position vector) in the equation for torque....t (torque) = r (position vector) * F (force vector). This would in turn actually increase the torque available, not reduce it, and would therefore actually help to prevent stalling of the engine, not help to induce it. Also, a simple gearing issue has a very linear and deterministic effect, whereas the problem experienced is very non-linear (hence careful use of the clutch and throttle pedal is needed to compensate) . Unless you have experienced yourself it is difficult to convey in words. (You do not say if your car is a 1.6 Dig-T?).

I am more convinced the issue relates to optimising the tuning between 1) the throttle response curve, 2) the injector fuelling map, 3) control of the turbo and 4) road speed.

Dear Dw350zQQ you mentioned that you are taking your 1.6 Dig-T in for a ecu update on August 4th. Can I please ask, can you try to ascertain the actual Nissan recall notice number so that we have something to quote, i.e. something like " Service Bulletin Number 123, to fix reported issues xyz"? It will be very interesting to see what they are trying to fix?
R