Start/stop and turbo

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Quashqaiowner

Post by Quashqaiowner »

Hi all, I have question regarding the start function on the QQ. Now imagine your driving along and come to a set of traffic lights. You pull and the start/stop function kicks in the engine stops as it's supposed to. So the question is, is the turbo still fed oil or not as to me it would increase ware if there is no oil feed???
Sorry if this sounds a silly question but I thought that we were supposed to wait a little while before turning the engine off so as to give the turbo time to slow down.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

By the time youve slowed down and stopped moving the turbo will have slowed to a stop as well. In any case, if it was still revolving a certain amount of lubricant would still be surronding the moving parts. The issue isnt lubrication of the moving parts, its the dissipation of residual heat that can damage the turbo.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Most Modern tubos have a water cooling system for this exact reason, unsure id the #qq has it, but i would be very surprised if it didn't
gvmdaddy wrote:By the time youve slowed down and stopped moving the turbo will have slowed to a stop as well. In any case, if it was still revolving a certain amount of lubricant would still be surronding the moving parts. The issue isnt lubrication of the moving parts, its the dissipation of residual heat that can damage the turbo.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

There is an FAQ about this...

Essentially, most typical drives wont stress the turbo too much and wont be an issue. The turbo should be water cooled so removes heat quite quickly from the core. Its not the heat that damages the turbo (not in our cars anyway), its the oil boiling in the core, resulting in damaged bearings/shaft.

Now, if you have been hoofing it around excessively, or driving towing a significant weight, especially up hill then yes, the turbo could be hot enough to warrant a small cool down period before shut off (Nissan advise this in the handbook), but this will be few and far between. However a cool down period could actually cause more harm than good allowing heat soak into other components.

I am sure I read somewhere, but cant find it again, that the stop start system is somehow able to read the temperature of the turbo using a thermocouple and prevents shutdown it if thinks the core is too hot. Don't quote me on this, but it was part of a whole load of "if this, or this or this...." list before the stop/start was able to kick in.

Nissan will have designed the stop/start system in such a way that it will only kick in when it think its safe to do so I would not worry too much.
duncho

Post by duncho »

or you need something like is this :)

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.49.07.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 10.49.37.png

Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="SplanK"]There is an FAQ about this...

. The turbo should be water cooled so removes heat quite quickly from the core.

-------------------

if the turbo is water cooled , i wonder where this water comes from , and how it gets fed into the turbo .

same question applies to the oil cooling , i thought the oil circuit was internal to the engine .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Deleted User 759

There is a feed from the engine block itself into the turbo on both counts. There is no separate oil/water dedicated for the turbo.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

thats interesting .

presumably could account for some oil and water losses in some conditions
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Deleted User 759

jackdaww wrote:thats interesting .

presumably could account for some oil and water losses in some conditions
It is another avenue of oil/water loss yes, but unusual from new and a looked after unit should easily last 100k upwards.