1.6 diesel start stop reluct to engage

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Cameronw89

Post by Cameronw89 »

Hi guys, done a quick search but couldnt see much - mostly folk wanting to disable start stop. My 1.6 is very reluctant to engage start stop - I understand there are certain variables for this but I have tried a mix of things i.e. A/C on & off radio on/off but its really intermittent. I have driven the 1.5 and the start stop kicks in almost immediately. Dont want to go to the dealer and sound like a tube in case it's just the engine... Any help appreciated
1.6 DCi 15 plate Qashqai N-TEC

Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

Mine rarely uses stop/start - I've had it for approx. 3 months and stop/start has worked maybe 20 times.
My Wife's Fiesta seems to work all the time.
I've decided not to waste any time over it.
2015 Tekna 1.6dCi in Pearl Black (plus Brink/Thule detachable towbar)
Cameronw89

Post by Cameronw89 »

Hi Jerry, I'm kinda in the same boat as you... I only notice it when my low fuel warning comes on and am trying to drive slightly more sensibly lol
sporttourer

Post by sporttourer »

Our 1.5dci hardly ever works. We only ever do long distance journeys in it with the odd shorter 10 - 20 mile drive. The dealer says nothing wrong with it. They "Charged" the battery as they said it was a bit low. When I explained I had just driven to Swansea and back from Cornwall so the battery should have plenty of charge, they tried to fob me off by saying "modern cars don't charge like old ones" so a long journey doesnt make any difference. They said I probably had the radio and sat nav on as well - Yeah right they really draw a lot of current!!
When we had the stop/start error message the seemed to forget that existed.
We had a 1.6 petrol Qashqai as a loan car for a week ( another electronic fault on ours and needed parts) and even on a short journey the stop/start kicked in everytime.
We also have a Renault Megane with the same 1.5dci engine and the stop/start works on that and that is our everyday runaround with shorter journeys.

I don't think the Qashqai Diesel batteries have a high enough capacity - so as soon as the slightest drop in charge the car shuts down it prevents stop/start working. Either that or our battery is failing to hold charge or it isn't charging properly.

To be honest I can't be bothered to keep going back to the dealer ( I live in Cornwall so alternative dealer not an option) and will just wait until the next service.
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

hi cameronw89 i had a reluctant stop start on my 1.6 tekna xtronic. when new i was allways playing inside. the inside lamps are a disgrace they are----were (in my car three 5w t10 in the front, plus two 5w t10 in the n/0 plate and two festoon 31mm 8w daining a massive 41watt i replaced them with led WARM WHITE in my spanish internet they are very cheap bangood for eg. very slow delivery but are much brighter and plesent,
the two 8w festoon rear side interior lights need after prizeing the unit out can be unplugged and then look for and remove a very tiny retainer screw for the lenze i disgarded mine they arnt needed this helps the stop start a lot also if i am playing and returning to the car, i manually park the wing mirrors . i have fitted a voltmeter near the cig lighter, now i know what state of charge and when the kick start will kick back in .you can see my photos placed wrongly under trolley jack regards brian
brian
mavrik64

Post by mavrik64 »

It's a known (but not always recognised) issue. Mine actually spent just short of two weeks back at the dealers, they swapped the battery out but it the SS continued to fail. They claim Nissan came to look at it as part of an investigation. They did replace a component (can't remember what) and it's worked (mostly) since. Take it back to your dealer and get it sorted, it's a pain but it should pay off.
I owe, I owe = so it's of to work i go
2014 Tekna 4x4 Black.
simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

I have a 1.5 diesel and you have to make sure the clutch pedal is pressed fully down to place it in neutral. if you just flick it into neutral and then handbrake to engage the start/stop is dosent work. try it .
Simmo
Cameronw89

Post by Cameronw89 »

Thanks for all your replies guys... I'll try what you recommended Simmo. Will have a think about taking it to the dealer, dunno if it would be a wasted journey though...

Cheers

Cameron