2012 1.5dci engine not the same after service

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

Greetings....

First post here and sadly it's about a potential problem.

I've had my 2012 1,5dci for about 10mths now and been very happy with it. Just over 30k on the clock and recently been in for a service and mot at a Nissan Dealer. Part of the service was an update to the ECU firmware. Now this may be a co-incidence but every since the service the engine seems to be a lot noisier - rattle like dodgy tappets but its a diesel - especially when cold and pulling away. It can still be heard but not as bad when warm but only when accelerating.

In addition a couple of times after starting from cold the engine has 'stuttered' a few times - revs go up and down. And sometimes even when warm the occasional stutter occurs - not often but then it never did this prior to the service.

I'm also getting paranoid about the the MPG because I'm convinced it's not the same as prior to the ECU update - although it does feel a little perkier on acceleration.

It's into the dealer on Friday for another issue - potential oil leak on turbo, spotted during the service - so I'm going to mention the above.

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on engine rattles and stuttering. Also is there anywhere that I could determine what the firmware revisions should be and what the change history is.

Many thanks

Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

Update:

Took the car to the dealer yesterday for the Turbo Problem (See below). I asked about the ECM update and they gave me the details which I've attached. The technician also thought that the engine had been re-mapped (sic) in the process to improve the performance and emissions which would explain the slight change in mpg and acceleration. True to form the rattle refused to manifest itself since it's most noticeable when cold but during the test drive with the technician he said it sounded just fine but admitted that the Nissan Diesels were not the quietest of engines but still very good. He said to monitor the problem and call back if needed.

Turbo problem.

Initially this was diagnosed by the first dealer as quote ' a significant leak from the turbo' and needed a replacement. Cost approx. £2k. When I mentioned it was under warranty I got the sharp intake of breath and shake of head that it probably wasn't bad enough to be covered under the warranty. Since this was not my regular dealer and I didn't have the time to argue the case I left it at that.

On returning home and going to my regular dealer they diagnosed the problem as a leaking pipe to the turbo and would most likely be covered under warranty but they need to go through the claims process first but see no problem. Probably a much lower cost as well.
ECM Update 2016002.pdf
(480.94 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Isnt it out of warranty by now?
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

No, I got the Nissan Cared4 12mth Warranty when I bought it.
sammy

Post by sammy »

Hi all
I purchased a Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci late 2011 plate in March 2015, its the euro 5 engine. In December 2015 driving through town at 30 mph
the engine started making a noise like tappets where knocking then the cam belt failed. The car was just 4 years old and 36,000 miles
on the clock. I think this is a long term problem with this engine and it seems to be still ongoing.
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

I've been monitoring the conditions under which I hear the 'tappet' like sound. It seems to be when the engine is cold and I'm guessing the oil hasn't had time to circulate round. When up and running the noise is considerably less and just the usual diesel rattle. I've gotten into the habit of letting the engine run a short while when used for the first time before pulling away and this seems to reduce the initial clatter.

FWIW: the turbo pipe was replaced under warranty with no problem at all. I've now been offered another years warranty for £400 which I think I will take up. You don't need much of a problem to run up a £400 bill in a garage.
qashqai_08

Post by qashqai_08 »

I have an 08 model and I think it sounds similar to yours on a cold start. Do you have a video so we can see what it sounds like?
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

I does appear to be only when cold. After a while the engine purrs very nicely. I'll see if I can capture something and post it.