Automatic car HIgh revs before changing gears

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
gargatouf

Post by gargatouf »

I am looking to buy an automatic model (57 reg plate, engine size 2.0 litres) but while I took it for the test drive, I noticed that the revs went really high before the car changed gear. For example, had to go over 600 rpms to get into second gear (or around 40mph) and as a result noticed that engine was making a high revving sound. Is this normal for automatics? It's a nice car, in a good state, with quite low mileage at a good price, so it looks like a good opportunity but worried about the high rev and engine sound.

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

600 RPM is less than idle speed. if u meant 6000 RPM then the car has a serious problem
gargatouf wrote:I am looking to buy an automatic model (57 reg plate, engine size 2.0 litres) but while I took it for the test drive, I noticed that the revs went really high before the car changed gear. For example, had to go over 600 rpms to get into second gear (or around 40mph) and as a result noticed that engine was making a high revving sound. Is this normal for automatics? It's a nice car, in a good state, with quite low mileage at a good price, so it looks like a good opportunity but worried about the high rev and engine sound.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

It is a CVT and it depends how quickly you wish to accelerate as to how high the revs go.

Personally I would not have a steel belt CVT if they paid me to take it off their hands. I would value it by the kilo and metal price is rock bottom currently.

That's just me though.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

my primera 2.0l cvt did 150000 miles, no gearbox probs.

previous conventional auto's failed before 100000.

more makers are fitting cvt now , most hybrids have them ,including the prius which has been aroundnfor yonks.

eventually , all cars will be cvt autos, manual will go the dinosaur way .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.