63 plate 1.6 petrol or 1.5dci

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Hgaw85

Post by Hgaw85 »

Hi there I'm currently looking at two 63 plate qashqai 360's 1.6 petrol and 1.5dci only £500 in price difference unsure what to get probably cover between 5-10k a year mainly town driving. All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

Petrol would be my choice - DPF's on diesels are expensive and need a good run to keep them alive - not slow town driving
Hgaw85

Post by Hgaw85 »

Thanks for the reply, reading mixed reviews on the dpf some say they don't do much and had no problems in 4/5 yr and others say different seems to be just your luck maybe
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

J10 diesels may suffer from dpf problems if used mainly for short runs. Longer more frequent runs are beneficial and can prevent problems.
J11 diesels are much more stable regarding the dpf. The engine management system controls the clearing of the dpf and does it automatically, even if only short journeys are done. Moderate to long runs produce high exhaust temps which burn off the deposits in the dpf, and if it gets close to clogging whilst the temps are not high enough then the electronics in the car take over, regulating the flow of diesel as appropriate to increase the exhaust temps artificially. It works a treat Dont be swayed by people who have had problems previously as they are almost all owners of the older J10 models.
Some will say that a diesel wont pay its way on low annual mileage, but again that is not completely true. If you only intend on keeping the car for a handfull of years then yes it would make sense to go gor petrol. If like me you intend on running the car into the ground then the diesel will easily pay its way. Insurance costs will also be a factor. Im more than happy with my J11 1.5dci.
Hgaw85

Post by Hgaw85 »

Are the 2013 the j11 then or would I have to check that out?
Hgaw85

Post by Hgaw85 »

Also yes I'm like you and not planning on another car for a good few years until this one is on its lasts legs
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

J11 came in early 2014
Hgaw85

Post by Hgaw85 »

Ok, thanks for that
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

This in today's Honest John page:

They must be juking

My son bought a Nissan Juke less than 3 years ago as an ex demonstrator with 300 miles on the clock. It broke down on the Tuesday before the May Bank Holiday weekend. The RAC tried a repair but ended up towing it some 6 miles to his normal garage. The garage said it should be still under warranty as the diesel particulate filter was totally blocked. He phoned the warranty people and was on the phone for 12 minutes. They said yes, it should be covered and send it to a Nissan dealer. He had it towed about 25 miles to the dealer who would not look at it for a week and when he did he told my son the DPF was not covered. Costs would be in excess of £2000. He intimated that we did not do enough motor way driving. How can I complain? A three-year old car should not have a main part fail like this? We do not just use the car the school run and on average it runs for at least 40 minutes for each journey. It has done over 51,000 miles so not just the shopping run-around. Please help as we feel that this car has failed on every level and to even get the main dealership to ring back when promised was a monumental task.

LN, via email

A diesel particulate filter would not necessarily be covered by warranty, even if the rest of the car was still within the 3 year manufacturer warranty. Its condition is affected by the way the car has been driven and the quality of fuel used. 51k miles is on the low side before they get blocked with ash. Normally 80k miles +. The good news is that they can normally be cleaned out by the Ceramex process for about £350 and if this is the case you don't have to spend £2,000 on a new DPF. This tells you about the process: http://www.ceramex.com/faq/ If you Google <DPF Cleaning> you'll find alternatives and 'DIY cures' that may or may not work at this late stage, but Ceramex is the only service I have positive feedback about.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
chalky white

Post by chalky white »

Don't know if the Nissan dpf works the same as Mazda but the reason I sold my CX7 diesel was due to the dpf dumping diesel in the sump when used for short journeys..I found this out when checking the oil level and noticing it was above the max mark, diesel in oil not a great lubricant.
QQ - N-CONNECTA DIG-T 163... 1.6 Petrol..