Qashqai 1.5dci engine knocking like mad

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Benr7310

Post by Benr7310 »

Hi everyone

My dad has a 57 plate Qashqai 1.5dci on 84k miles, always been serviced on time etc

He now has some very loud knocking, is underpowered, has some whitish smoke from his car and the oil light flicks on very briefly sometimes.

Garage thing big or small end but can't say why it happened.

Does anyone know what it is or could be?

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

The problem could be many things, but it does sound like a very broken engine and expensive to fix. Knocking noises can be a worn bearing, burning oil will be due to an oil seal leaking / worn piston / rings / turbo etc. The usual cause for these things would be down to poor oil / incorrect oil change intervals / lack of oil. I'm guessing in this cause it's lack of oil.

You may find it cheaper/ safer bet to get a second hand engine / reconditioned engine rather than paying the garage to repair it, as when they pull it apart chances are there will be more worn stuff and their estimate for repair will be much higher than you thought.

Good luck
Benr7310

Post by Benr7310 »

I thought it could be oil starvation but it's always been at the full mark. I suspect either big or small end bearings but don't know what damage could have been caused as he drove it a few miles.

I've looked at fitting a reconditioned engine for him but know that programming injectors can be a PITA!

Thanks
Deleted User 3871

Cant you use the donor car ECU also? I guess this would be more expense.
Benr7310

Post by Benr7310 »

So from what I can tell the oil leven has always been above the min.

Donor car might be pretty pricey, then you need to get rid of the leftovers after :/

Trying to find a way to sort it for under £1000 but it might be quite tight!
Deleted User 3871

Was thinking more like getting an engine etc from a breakers alrdy removed. I have no idea on cost though
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Benr7310

Post by Benr7310 »

So it turns out he hasn't had his cambelt done. It's on 84k miles and is 9 years old...

So it could be that the tensioner has started to give and slipped a couple of teeth!

I'll need to do some investigating, but thanks guys :)
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

If it was "always serviced on time", shouldn't the cambelt have been changed as part of one of those services?

If it turns out that it wasn't, perhaps the servicing garage/dealer will have some stumping up to do.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Benr7310

Post by Benr7310 »

Pretty sure he didn't use nissan/renault for the annual servicing.

Hopefully i'll be able to repair it if this was the issue and it didn't bend values etc. It still starts and runs so maybe.

Before I can get to work on it I have to tow it 50 miles to the house he's buying..