1.6dci cvt mid range grunt

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
mikeyc1

Post by mikeyc1 »

Hi , I'm still driving in my mk6 golf gti but with a 2 week old baby am considering the qashqai, needs to be an auto so only option is the 1.6, ok its not going to be gti quick but how does the mid range punch feel? am just concerned its going to feel a bit out of puff. not interested in screaming off the line so 0-60 isn't an issue , guess I should just go drive one soon :D

montimar

Post by montimar »

I have the 1.6dci with the CVT gearbox and find the mid range power more than adequate. When you put the pedal to the metal it goes like a stuck rat.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
robman9

Post by robman9 »

You can go from 70-100 mph relatively easily. Quiet good when you've got a muppet in front of you on the m-way. Get round them then ease off.
Rob
Tenka 1.6 CVT
MartinsQasqhai
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MartinsQasqhai »

I have the manual 1.6 dci. Beforehand I had a 150bhp Saab 9-3 so was concerned the QQ would be underpowered.

It certainly isn't as quick as the Saab - and I don't think you'd want it to be given the body shape - but I find it more than adequate. What I did find is that it took 7k-8k miles for the engine to really find its pace, which is not unusual for diesels, although the QQ took longer than most I have had before. I have now done 20k in 12 months and it can keep up with anything on the M- Way.

The main differences I find are having to change down more frequently at low speeds, and it won't take off in 6th, unlike the Saab. For those reasons I think you are doing right buying the cvt (I wish I had in retrospect). I'm confident you will find it fine.
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

The 1.6 has same torque as a 1996 3litre mercedes turbocharged diesel it has 130 bhp and has a LOT OF GRUNT it has an advanced renult engine the most powerful in its class i dont think you will be dissapointed with the aceleration! and as it is auto silly gear change is a thing of the past it throws you back in the seat at slow revs it has much more torque than the 1.6 petrol. try one!
brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

ps the 1.6 auto diesel has 7 gears not 6
brian
switchback

Post by switchback »

brianthelian wrote:ps the 1.6 auto diesel has 7 gears not 6
I thought the CVT didn't have any gears as it's a Continually Variable Transmission :?:
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

it has 7 gears that can be changed manually or left in auto
brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

or should i say speeds ? its nor one speed auto
brian
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

yes im wrong ,im sorry switchback that i called them gears, it has 7 speeds. i looked in the manual it has over 650 pages for transmission. the automatic drive is a belt that incorperates 7 speeds (in the auto model) sorry i called them gears. the manual has a 6 speed gear box and a clutch.
brian