Hill start assist and automatic transmission

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
beelox

Post by beelox »

Hi.. Just took deliver of my first xtronic qashqai.. Is the hill start assist supposed to work the same as it does in the manual version.. Mine doesn't seem to ever activate. I that said keeping it in drive stops it rolling backwards

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Would have thought so, but don't drive a CVT; have you genned up from manual :?:
HSA.pdf
(40 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
beelox

Post by beelox »

hi thanks - i had read that section in the manual and it does suggest by using the terminology of Neutral and Park that it applies to xtronic - it just doesn't explicitly say - I have parked on my driveway which in my 2014 manual used to trigger the HSA - i the xtronic it doesn't - I need to find a stepper hill I think and test it - any xtronic drivers able to comment?
Mak786

Post by Mak786 »

Mine very rarely kicks in. The software was updated a while back, and now it has to be a pretty much vertical incline before it shows as activated !
Tekna X-Tronic Ink Blue 1.6dCi
PeterPerfect13
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by PeterPerfect13 »

I've always thought the hill start assist to be superfluous on a CVT. Most of the time I just leave in gear and hold the footbrake when I stop briefly (eg at lights) which obviously prevents any rolling backwards. However, if I were to put in neutral the protocol would be to also engage the handbrake. Then, when moving off, engage drive and footbrake before releasing the handbrake which, hey ho, stops it rolling backwards.
2017 Magnetic Red 1.2 CVT Tekna
beelox

Post by beelox »

thanks all - Mak786 - that's interesting to know - I went out and found a steep hill and it did infact kick in - but as you say it is only on very steep hills - the manual one i had would kick in on the slightest of inclines - at least i know it's working now - even if near pointless...now if i could get the Satnav sorted my new car would be perfect - after going through all the teething problems of the Qashqai 2 yeas ago I really didnt expect to have issues again this time round!