Cvt

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Neo29

Post by Neo29 »

Hello

I have my 1.2 Cvt tekna now a month and i love the car.

I do have to say, this is my first Cvt and you have to get use to it. But once you know how to drive it its awesome.

Because i read so Many problems about the Cvt in the diesel models, i was wondering if there are known problems in the 1.2 petrol version ?

jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

judging by the absence of replies , it seems there is precious little interest in the CVT , probably because it seems most people drive manual diesels.

the cvt in my petrol primera was excellent and faultless to the end - nearly 150000 miles.

at around 15mph there was an event , reduction of engine revs and a very slight lag/drag - this may be when the torque converter locks up .

i got used to that and otherwise that cvt was very smooth .

the CVT in my 1.2 petrol qashqai is not the same animal .

i understand there is a secondary mechanism which widens the ratio range - more complication for what ?

there is now a further event at around 35/40 mph , a noticeable lurch/surge then drag/bind.

it is generally more fussed and less smooth, i am constantly aware of the gearbox.

sometimes there is a lag usually when entering a roundabout , never had any hint of lag on the primera .

i dont find it easy to describe this well , but in short i think it may be a backward step..

i would be very pleased to hear other views , and particularly from anyone who knows how this gearbox works.

ps. of course i may be unlucky and have a faulty one .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Neo29

Post by Neo29 »

For me its the first time i own a Cvt and it feels like it runs better when it warmed up a bit, other then that i like it.

Its also the first time i have a petrol, i always had diesels but i had a Honda Civic Before this car and i had quite a lot of problems with the dpf, the filter got full and all that, so done with the diesel.

Why do only diesel qq have a lot problems with the Cvt ?
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

Apart from the initial lag moving away from standstill I don't have any other complaint about the CVT.
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

Neo29 wrote:For me its the first time i own a Cvt and it feels like it runs better when it warmed up a bit, other then that i like it.

Its also the first time i have a petrol, i always had diesels but i had a Honda Civic Before this car and i had quite a lot of problems with the dpf, the filter got full and all that, so done with the diesel.

Why do only diesel qq have a lot problems with the Cvt ?
===================================

i find it better when warmed up , but still not good .

the cvt diesel version does seem to have more complaints , i had a test drive and found very serious lag in some situations.

i am well set against diesels for many reasons , the dpf system being one of them , the particulate pollution is a very serious health hazard , the noise inflicted on road users and pedestrians is dreadful.

using crude kerosene in vehicles is crazy , the equipment to refine it , ie dpf is unreliable , subject to abuse , extra complication and expensive .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.