1.5 dCi Engine Oil

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Also there may be a chance the CAT is getting damaged as it's not really designed to handle burnt oil? or is it?
qashqai666 wrote:
SplanK wrote:If there is no external leak anywhere, then its either mixing with the water, or more than likely being burnt through combustion.
Must be , none is going on the floor , coolant level is fine , no clouds of smoke though , so it must be a fine gradual loss over time , somewhat worrying to be honest ....

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The cat will handle small amounts of burnt oil, as in reality all engines burn a small amount regardless, its never a perfect seal. This is one of the reasons why specific grades of oil are available to ensure compatibility.
Bros

Post by Bros »

As mention in a previous post I have the same issue with loss of oil.
Bought the car from garage not 9mth old 10,5 k on the clock, all checks apparently done before selling to me.
650mls later oil warning light on, sure as damn it dip it and it was on minimum level.
Trip to garage topped up to max and I have now have to do 1k mls and back to garage at ascertain oil levels.
This will be set against the tolerances set before any action will be taken.
I know that this oil burn is a characteristic of this engine but why no checks on emissions and compression tests
Cheers
Bobby
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2017 Ink Blue j11 Mk2
Previously - QQ 1.5dci NTEC 2015 Black j11 Mk2
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

This is not what I experienced with the k9k in my mk1 QQ , it literally used no oil between services ....
Bros

Post by Bros »

Bros wrote:As mention in a previous post I have the same issue with loss of oil.
Bought the car from garage not 9mth old 10,5 k on the clock, all checks apparently done before selling to me.
650mls later oil warning light on, sure as damn it dip it and it was on minimum level.
Trip to garage topped up to max and I have now have to do 1k mls and back to garage at ascertain oil levels.
This will be set against the tolerances set before any action will be taken.
I know that this oil burn is a characteristic of this engine but why no checks on emissions and compression tests
Cheers
Bobby
Well 1000mls later, checked the oil level today and virtually no loss whatsoever, got to say I am delighted with this but I am still confused as to the previous loss.
I do love the car tbh and checking my mpg's over this last 1500mls is working out at 52mpg, this is a mix of motorway and around town so happy with that.
Cheers
Bobby
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

Just had mine topped up at the dealer's , it looks like there are 2 possibilities here , not filled up correctly at the factory , unlikely but possible , or the engine using oil whilst running in , time will tell ...
Bros

Post by Bros »

qashqai666 wrote:Just had mine topped up at the dealer's , it looks like there are 2 possibilities here , not filled up correctly at the factory , unlikely but possible , or the engine using oil whilst running in , time will tell ...
Aye true, it looks to me that the car I bought (10.5k mls) has never had the oil level checked and sold as such.
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

This isn't looking good , done 1500 miles since it was topped up and a quarter of the oil is gone already , so it's using oil at a comparable rate to what it did in the first place , at least it prices it was full at the factory , back to the dealer's , at least I have the weight of motability behind me who are very good at sorting things out ...
m500dpp

Post by m500dpp »

If you are looking for an economical source of oil try this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10L-Genuine-M ... xykUZTfx78

Yes I know its not branded or approved for Renault or Nissan, but its a long life low saps fully synthetic oil suitable for cars with DPF Exactly what the 1.5 DCi requires. Its what my 1.5 Dci will be getting top ups from. Must do an oil change on the Merc, the service indicator is nagging me!
qashqai666

Post by qashqai666 »

Thanks but I want an engine that doesn't drink it lol !!!