Malfunction indicator light (orange)

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

Hi, just had this fault come up today (malfunction indicator light) so I thought I would let you know the out come.
I have a 1.5dci ntec+ it's just 12mths old and it's clocked 8,800m.
It just gets used at the weekends but that involves a decent run (2hrs plus)
Today just 10mins after setting off the malfunction indicator light (orange) came on. The manual states that it is ok to drive to the dealer if it's a steady on light (flashing appears to be more serious).
I drove home and contacted the break down assistance which came with the car and within 20mins the Rac were knocking on my door.
He hooked up the OBD and it was found to be the EGR valve position fault.
He cleared the fault no problem and explained that the valve was probably sticking due to carbon build up and would need a good run and possibly some diesel fuel additive.
This puzzled me because it does get a decent run although not every day admitted. This has now set my alarm bells ringing especially with all the DPF problems that seem to be happening out there. I'm a bit reluctant to start using additives, so I think maybe a good thrashing might be more appropriate than a long steady run to get that valve working fully. Its going in for its first service next week so I will try to get the technician to strip the valve and give it a clean if possible.
The Rac man suggested it may reoccur if I don't start changing my driving habits, I think maybe the answer is to use more revs rather than long runs, time will tell, so my New Years resolution is to stop driving like miss daisy and more like I stole it!
Let me know what your thoughts are?
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.

switchback

Post by switchback »

Where do you buy your fuel, garage or supermarket?
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
neal1202

Post by neal1202 »

Same thing has happened to me, although had DPF light come on first then EML about 20 miles latter.
I drove hard about 60 miles up dual carriageway but made no difference.
I assume my DPF needs cleaning, but I have read the EGR can be a source of issues. Guidance on how far, fast etc to clear a blocked DPF seems very vague and sparse.
I too am tempted to try an additive first, my theory being £15 might prevent a £200-£300 bill, although in my case I don't think it will make an difference. I have my Qashqai about 18 months and this is the first time warning light has come on. Admittedly I don't often do long runs.
I am tempted to try a non Nissan garage to resolve; any thoughts people?
I shall watch these posts with interest.
Thanks
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

That's a good point switchback.
I use morrisons supermarket regular unleaded all of the time.
I will try a garage next time, maybe even try one of the performance fuels not for extra performance but I have heard that they leave fewer carbon deposits on engine components, which I think is causing my EGR valve to fault.
What about my more revs idea I.e using more of the Rev range before changing gear will this help? I typically change gear when it tells me to except going up hill I will use more revs before changing gear.
Anyone had any joy with the additives that neal1202 mentioned?
DRL mod & mud flaps.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

I have just received the RAC report the fault code was dtc 0488 EGR position intermittent.
The report also states that the car needs to go to the dealers for further investigation.
DRL mod & mud flaps.
yaesu

Post by yaesu »

Hi, 1.5dci filled with unleaded? Really,and I thought dci is diesel! I've a 1.6 dci n-tec+ and use Shell regularderv 99% of the time otherwise a known premium brand, certainly never 'supermarket' fuel. I've had diesel ars for 30 years and not had any failures, there that's tempting fate!! Don't think treating it 'hard' will make much difference.
Yaesu
March 2015 Ntec+ 1.6 dci manual black
switchback

Post by switchback »

I use morrisons supermarket regular unleaded all of the time.
I will try a garage next time, maybe even try one of the performance fuels not for extra performance but I have heard that they leave fewer carbon deposits on engine components, which I think is causing my EGR valve to fault.
That's your problem then, although filling up with branded fuel is unlikely to clean the system. Perhaps try a fuel system cleaner then use branded fuel?

By brother had trouble with his diesel engined Focus, he spoke to a friend who works for Ford in their research department and following trials they did on branded and supermarket diesel he said "never use supermarket diesel".
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

Ok well spotted just making sure you are taking notice.
I have since filled up with a full tank of shell nitro "diesel" then probably use regular shell.
I have to say though, I have owned numerous cars and motorcycles over the years plus the company van, I've always used supermarket fuel in all of them and never had a problem with it. How do you explain that?
DRL mod & mud flaps.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

Had the QQ first service today all good. I spoke to the technician about the EGR problem he said it's not a known problem on the QQ and not to worry about it, he agreed that running it on the v-power was a good thing but couldn't really explain why the fault had occurred, unless I bring the car into the dealers with the fault showing.
Interestingly one of the managers said that he always uses super market fuel in his nissans and never had a problem.
Hopefully it was just a one off fault, fingers crossed.
DRL mod & mud flaps.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Interestingly one of the managers said that he always uses super market fuel in his nissans and never had a problem.
They probably only run them for a few months before the're sold on. Probably takes longer than that for the gunge to build up.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.