DPF Knackered, No Warranty replacement??!?!?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
bouff59

Post by bouff59 »

Hello all, great forum!

I realise there are numerous discussions on here relating to DPF's but i just wanted to share my recent woes and see if anyone else has had issues with what i have now found to be Nissans poor customer service.

After owning the car for 2 months (it was then 8 months old and brought direct from Nissan) i had the usual warning lights/issues that required a force regen done by Nissan. At the time i was driving around 700-800 miles a week mainly on motorways so i couldn't really understand how the filter had got blocked, but seeing as this was done under warranty i put it down to Nissan's use before i owned the car.

Pretty much a year later i have had exactly the same issue. So having had the problem before as soon as the auto stop/start fault/amber warning light came on i took it for a blast. Now the car isn't doing the mileage that it was doing last year but its still done 14000 miles in 14 months and gets a good run at least once a week. This unfortunately had no effect and i ended up with the red warning light too, so i booked in with the dealer again.

This time when i went to the dealer i was told it would be £275 for a regen. So thinking this was rather expensive for a computer plug in and and a oil filter change i got my usual independent garage to do it. This initially solved the issue, but as soon as i turned off/restarted the car the warning lights back were back. So under the advice from my mechanic i went back to Nissan as he thought the issue was with the actual DPF.
Nissan then weren't happy with the regen that my garage had done (even though it was pretty much exactly as they do it) and insisted on them doing one. This didn't work either and i was then told that it would require a new DPF, so they asked Nissan Warranty for approval and it was rejected!

So i m now in the position where i have spend £350 on regens and they want me to pay £2150 for a new DPF to fitted on a car thats not even 2 years old! To say i m disappointed is an understatement. Yes a DPF is a part that will need replacing eventually but at this one has only done 23000 miles over 23 months. I feel Nissan are completely taking the p**s as they just didn't even offer to meet any of the costs. I m trying to go through Motor Codes but any help/advice you can give would be massively appreciated.
2014 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 DCI Tekna Black

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Is this a J10 model, as im sure the 1.6dci wasnt out for a good few months after yours was first sold.
bouff59

Post by bouff59 »

As far as i m aware its a J11 model. It was the first of the new model Qashqai out (registered late January 2014)
2014 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 DCI Tekna Black
Wolf97

Post by Wolf97 »

Bought mine July 2014 only models available were 1.2 petrol and 1.5 diesel, somebody's got their wires crossed me thinks
65 plate Tekna 1.5 diesel in Storm White
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Whatever the model, £2150 [inc VAT?] is totally bonkers for a replacement DPF, which they will all eventually need. Have they tested the engine and injection function properly? That is, to make sure it doesn't produce excessive soot during normal driving?

A completely new DPF for a 1.6 litre car really should not cost more than £500 fitted. Not unless the housing also contains a precious metal cat convertor. Even so, they would be taking the proverbial pee at £1000 and the DPF should be maintenance free for at least 100,000 miles.

Imagine what this does to used car values. Would you pay more than a token couple of thousand for a five or six year old car with a potential £2000+ bill hanging over your purchase, plus other risks? By the time they are up in the 80,000 mile mark, you could knock £3k off traditional used values for a similar car easily. Nobody will touch them with a very long barge pole.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

You can easily verify which model if you don't know if you've new or old model; check VIN, and it will contain within it, J10 or J11; recall J10's were more vulnerable to this, as J11 has smarter firmware so DPF should manage itself. :(

May be worth tweeting Nissan UK on matter as their Social Media team should follow up, and hopefully afterwards someone from HO wil be in touch.

Also use search feature here on DPF's, or in J10 section if more applicable, for others expereince with their dealers on this.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D