Diesel particulate filter

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
ivelina

Post by ivelina »

Sparky 62, I know this from personal experience and lengthy arguments with the local dealer (Pentagon) and ultimately, Nissan directly.

There is no warning light. The car will regenerate the filter when it is full, regardless of how you drive it at the time and in general. If you mainly do short cold journeys, the regeneration will be carried out more frequently, therefore polluting the engine oil. That is why our models have got a bit of software called (Oil Change Supervisor or OCS) that monitors the oil quality and when it deteriorates, you will get message on the dashboard saying "Oil Service due in x miles" (usually around 800 miles). Press ok/enter and it will disappear completely. If you ignore it (like I did the first time I got it), the oil will get so bad that the engine will eventually go into limp mode, forcing you to take the car to the garage. Not a nice place to go, as you will know by now!

So, keep an eye on that "oil service due" message and when you take the car to the garage and they tell you that your service in not due, tell them that you want the oil replaced. Or replace it yourself. That should be all you need to do for your DPF to keep regenerating as normal.

Aren't we lucky we are driving the Car of the Year for three years running!?!
New Qashqai, 1.6 DCI Tekna, registered March 2014, 22500 miles on the clock