Diesel particulate filter

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Sparky 62

Post by Sparky 62 »

Hi,I have a 2014 1.6 Tekna, Could anyone tell me if there is a particulate filter early warning light and also what is required to correct the problem if this fault occurs , The main Nissan dealers near me said that if this filter gets blocked it has to be replaced and is not covered by the warranty , as I do not do many miles a year am I at risk of this happening to my Qashqai, Thanks, Graham.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sparky 62, we do not have a Diesel and I have not really delved into this Post but this might well help you - Dave ;)

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1268
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
fat controller

Post by fat controller »

I wouldn't worry about it unduly to be honest - as long as you are not doing really short journeys where the car does not get properly up to operating temperature, then I doubt you will have a problem. The car monitors the DPF, and will occasionally do a regen when it feels the need to lower the soot level; you might notice that the engine revs increase slightly at idle when this regen is taking place, but that is about the only noticeable thing (and even then, you might not notice it). Its not a bad idea to give the car a bit of a run on a motorway or A-road once in a while, as this should ensure that everything gets up to operating temperature which in turn can encourage the car to do a regen.

I've had my QQ for almost four months now, and I have noticed it do a regen twice in that time, both of which were in town, and the regen process seems to be handled much better in the QQ than it ever was in my last car (Audi A4) - I always knew when that was doing a regen as the exhaust note changed, and the car would rock and shudder when sitting at idle.

Although I haven't used it in the QQ yet (I probably will very soon, now that we are heading into winter), I have used Millers Diesel EcoMax with great success over the years. Indeed, a VW Passat that I owned before the Audi wouldn't run worth a light without it (it would misfire, hesitate, and generally run rough); the A4 ran well, but with the additive there was a bit more 'poke' and I generally got 3-5mpg more out of a tank. It increases the cetane rating of the fuel (hence the additional 'poke'), and cleans (or keeps clean) the injectors, which in my opinion can only help improve combustion and reduce soot (thus helping the DPF).

One other tip - - old diesel engines would thank you for a bit of an Italian tune-up (a damn good thrashing), and would chuck out clouds of reek in the process, thus giving it a bit of a clean out. Doing the same to a car with a DPF fitted would only see the DPF getting needlessly loaded with soot. Rather than booting it from a standing start and giving it loads of loud pedal, it is better to accelerate progressively up the rev range and then give the car a good run; if you are really concerned that your DPF might be clogging up, give it a run in fourth or fifth to keep the revs above 2500 for a while which will build up heat to help clean things through -- booting it is not the answer for a modern diesel.
1.5dci Acenta Premium
Wishlist: Autofold Mirrors, Chrome body trim and Metal sill protectors;

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

In addition to the above comment....no, there is not an early warning light. If it happens then the car enters a safe 'limp mode' reducing revs and speed, at which point you will require a forced regeneration at your dealership.
Im 19 months in with less than 10k miles on it and had no problems at all.
The dpf works. The dpf management system works. Dont worry about it, it works.
Sparky 62

Post by Sparky 62 »

Thankyou very much for the valuable information which should help me to ensure the filter does not get blocked, once again Thankyou.
Regards. Graham.
frazzle

Post by frazzle »

7k miles in 8 months and the dpf has gone on ours. We regularly do short journeys but every couple of weeks we probably to a couple of 30 minute to 60 minute journeys.

The fact that nissan don't cover an aspect of their car in the warranty period tells you all you need to know.

This fundamentally shouldn't be the case on a brand new car - part of the reason we bought it was for new car peace of mind.

Not happy.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Legally I'm sure you could challenge the exclusion
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
bouff59

Post by bouff59 »

Hi Frazzle, i m in the same boat unfortunately.

Rather than pay the £2350 that the main dealer wanted i took the car back to my garage. So i ve gone with a company that perform a dpf clean out for significantly less. Off the top of my head the costs are:

£385 for a standard clean (this includes them picking it up and dropping at your designated garage.
£65 If the DPF requires a bake in the kiln (this is basically a more through clean)
£85 For a lifetime guarantee (if it ever requires doing again they will do it for free)

The DPF on the qashqai is tucked right up at the back of the engine so unfortunately is expensive to get out (front suspension off, drive shaft removed (AWD)) so its about £400-£500. So all in just shy of a grand.

I haven't got the details of the company but can get them if you want them.
2014 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 DCI Tekna Black
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

all this dpf hassle and cost is clearly a very good reason to avoid diesel altogether !.
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

This from Honest John www may be of interest:
Particulate physics
My 88,000-mile March 2008 Mondeo automatic diesel estate requires a new DPF and a sensor that goes with it. The price of the filter from the Ford main dealer is £1,297 plus VAT (which allows £200 for the return of the old DPF) and the sensor is £116.68 plus VAT. Fitting is less than an hours labour so not significant in the scheme of things. Another local and perfectly reputable garage will supply and fit a new non-Ford DPF for a total of £285, including VAT, although they have not mentioned the sensor which I assume to be in addition and may have to come from Ford. They would provide a 1-year warranty for the parts. A non Ford DPF can be bought from a local Motor Factor for £185, including VAT, to fit yourself or to have fitted. Again, no mention of the sensor, which I assume to be in addition. Finally, a local firm offers a DPF cleaning system with a purpose-built machine (not just a power wash, I am assured) at a cost of £180 including VAT with a one year warranty. You have to remove the DPF and take it to them and then put it back on, which would be easy to arrange. I intend to keep the car for at least another 3 years during which time I am likely to do another 30,000-35,000 miles, and am bewildered by the alternatives. I wish to economise where it is possible to do so but do not want to make a false economy. My instinct tells me that there must be some significant difference between the Ford item and the pattern alternatives and that the cleaning route would just be a short-term solution. What should I do and would the non-Ford part muck up the engine management etc?

GI, via email

Ceramex offers a DPF cleaning process which is routinely used again and again for HGV DPFs every 80,000 miles or so. A DPF can clog with soot from too many short runs from cold starts, but eventually all DPFs get clogged up with ash, which I guess is what happened to yours. However, hand on heart, I can't tell you if the process will work without also replacing the sensor. Aftermarket DPFs are a lot cheaper than OEM, but might affect the fuel economy, performance and emissions and might not last as well as an OEM. I'd be inclined to get the original DPF cleaned out, try it and, if that doesn't work, get the sensor changed.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D