wind sound when accelerating. 1.2 Dig-T

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
manfong

Post by manfong »

Hi, I have a question for all the 1.2 dig-t owners. recently I noticed that when I am accelerating I could hear a sound
like a wind noise ( from 30mph onward) that I didn't notice before, at first I thought it was wind noise from the door
mirror then I realise it was not because when I lift my foot off the gas pedal I can't hear it. I can only hear it when I am accelerating. is this normal? it's not very loud you can only hear it with the radio off.
I am thinking is it the turbo? or a split hose?

Jhare

Post by Jhare »

Hi. I don't think this is a fault. Mine does similar and I understand it's something that the turbo does when you accelerate and then come off the gas. I'll leave into the tech experts to fully explain, but I think it's nothing to worry about.
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

manfong wrote:Hi, I have a question for all the 1.2 dig-t owners. recently I noticed that when I am accelerating I could hear a sound
like a wind noise ( from 30mph onward) that I didn't notice before, at first I thought it was wind noise from the door
mirror then I realise it was not because when I lift my foot off the gas pedal I can't hear it. I can only hear it when I am accelerating. is this normal? it's not very loud you can only hear it with the radio off.
I am thinking is it the turbo? or a split hose?
Its the turbo, thats all.
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

There are people who love the turbo sound so much ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Turbo-W ... B00A14PZ7S
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
manfong

Post by manfong »

Thanks.
manfong

Post by manfong »

Hi guys . strange noise while I'm accelerating. When you are accelerating you normally hear the noise of your engine going up .. but I've noticed an additional "sound" that sounds something like when you go a bit fast and you roll down your windows about an inch (2.56 cm) .. that "windy" sound.
So, I checked to see if the windows are up and both of them are up. I have this annoying sound while I'm accelerating. When I remove my foot from the gas there's no sound only sound of engine .. the moment I start to accelerate that "windy" sound is back again and as you go faster the sound is also louder. I also tried to rev up the engine in neutral while standing still .. and that sound can not be heard .. only while driving.
This annoying sound does not influence the driving at any way .. just a presence of something that wasn't there since I bought the car (5 months ago) is enough to start me worrying.
is anybody getting this noise on there 1.2 dig-t qashqai?
paplane

Post by paplane »

I've got a 1.2. I haven't noticed the wind noise that you describe - I'm not saying there isn't one, just that I've never noticed it before.

What I have heard lately though is that there is a faint whistle type noise when I take my foot OFF the accelerator. I'm assuming that to be some kind of turbo related noise. Anyone have an opinion on if this is 'normal' too?
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

Also have the 1.2 DiGT and haven't noticed any wind noise. I did read with interest the threads about taping up the wing mirrors to see if there was turbulence around bad joins there but as it didn't apply to me I didn't follow them through.
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Beardyman, I completely agree with your comments ours is a 08/14 and I have been following the comments on the Forum from last year up until today but I just cannot find a wind noise problem. Our QQ is the quietest car we have ever had, I suppose this noise could also be a Build related problem and just a small defect (gap > noise etc) can turn haywire - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Muiramas

Post by Muiramas »

paplane wrote:I've got a 1.2. I haven't noticed the wind noise that you describe - I'm not saying there isn't one, just that I've never noticed it before.

What I have heard lately though is that there is a faint whistle type noise when I take my foot OFF the accelerator. I'm assuming that to be some kind of turbo related noise. Anyone have an opinion on if this is 'normal' too?
Hello, the whistle noise you hear is the waste gate, basically diverting exhaust gas from the turbo when you lift off to prevent it from stalling.