Whistle sound from vent when releasing gas pedal

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Vaim

Post by Vaim »

Hi! I'm new to forum and I hope it's a right place where to write my problem/question.
Anyway I have 1,5 weeks old 1.2 Tekna Xtronic and from the day one every time when I release my gas pedal I can hear from the drivers side air ventilation a rather quiet whistle sound. It's like a turbo would let extra pressure out. Is it normal? Can't remember this kind of sound from my test drive.Vaim2015-08-28 08:46:49

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Welcome.Always wise to use the search facility before raising query.Search for vent, and you'll find a lot of threads.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Vaim

Post by Vaim »

Tried that before I posted . All the result are about rattles or wind noise. Mine is neither. Because I don't even have to drive to hear that noise. Maybe it's nothing and is completely normal and I am just paranoid. I am just wondering if anyones car is making similar sound.
Jhare

Post by Jhare »

Mine does exactly the same. Just assumed it was the turbo doing whatever tubos do. I have noticed it more when releasing pedal from hard acceleration. From a more gentle acceleration it isn't noticeable.Jhare2015-08-28 16:01:17
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Does it sound more like a 'sneeze' than a whistle?It sometimes difficult to pinpoint an issue with words, however if its when you let of the accelerator peddle, my money will be on the turbo recirc valve releasing air back into the intake. This is perfectly normal and its a feature to prevent the turbo stalling.
Vaim

Post by Vaim »

You are right. It is difficult to describe it with words. But yes, it could be called as a "sneeze" also .

But if other cars make the same noise then now I at least now that there isn't anything wrong with the engine. I was just worried because it's my very first brand new car... My previous car was turbo diesel and there the turbo didn't make any kind of noise.
Tom40my

Post by Tom40my »

Don't worry mine does exactly the same it's just the turbo releasing air as described
2014 1.2 tekna magnetic red
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Derv engines don't need to release air pressure because of the way they run. It is unusual to be able to hear a recirc valve operating on a standard engine, however because the turbo is at the back of the engine (so near the cabin) rather than the front, there is little to mute the noise. But yet, its fine :)
Muiramas

Post by Muiramas »

Just posted this in another thread, but what you hear is the waste gate opening to release exhaust gas from the turbo and prevent it stalling. Its a more 'refined' noise than having a dump valve which does a similar task.