Terrible MPG 1.6dci

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
El Brillante

Post by El Brillante »

Currently in another battle with the dealer. They are claiming my current typical consumption of 10l/100km (about 28mpg) is normal even though after doing 20,000km in 12 months I've been getting more like 6l (47mpg). They've connected it to the diagnostics and of course that says nothing is wrong so they claim there's nothing wrong

Can someone check something for me though, when it's stopped but idling (after a small run so you have an average) can you see what the instant display shows.. mine is right over to 15/Max and I don't remember it doing that before. Even just tiny throttle application results in the display jumping to maximum. It's virtually impossible to get it down into single figures.

Most of my driving is at 75-80mph on empty motorways, consumption has jumped from 40-45mpg to 27-30 too. Makes zero difference if you switch aircon off as well. Mechanic has test driven driven it and managed to get it down to about 5.8l by barely moving, if I had done the same journey it would have shown 3.8-3.9l, they consider 5.8l to be normal

Photo shows the idle and results from a short school run in mainly 20mph limits

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Mines a petrol but when it's idling it doesn't do that.The only time it gets over there is when I'm almost "free wheeling".As to the loss of economy:-Is the airfilter in right / filter box has not come loose?I know my dads diesel c-max tanked economy wise just after service because the "cretin" who installed it crushed the air filter.He lost about 15mpg just from something as simple as that.
Nissan no more...
El Brillante

Post by El Brillante »

It started doing it about two weeks ago, initially I put it down to the fact that temps were in the low 40s but its the same now it's a more normal low 30s.

It has just had its first service the problem is the same before/after that unfortunately. I booked it in along with a load of other niggles and as always it comes back the same!
D1eam

Post by D1eam »

Could the filters be clogged I know you mentioned it had been in for a service but that doesn't necessarily mean they changed the filters. It seems odd that your economy has dropped so low. Filters seem the natural cause in most I've owed over the years. Hope you get to root of problem
D1eam a little dream of me 😉
1.2 xtronic Tekna gunmetal grey picked up June 26 2015
robman9

Post by robman9 »

5.8 Lkm is 48.7 mpg. I would consider on a small run that isn't too bad myself. Especially if on school run you've got lots of giving way and stopping.

Around town I only get 42 mpg, 6.7 Lkm if I don't watch what I'm doing. But if I'm on a clear run I can get 60 mpg on an early morning commute 13 miles with lots of junctions, lights and roundabouts. Where are you driving UK or elsewhere?

I find I put my foot down a bit more now and that kills the efficiency.
Rob
Tenka 1.6 CVT
Qash

Post by Qash »

if you want good MPG stay below 65 mph. 80 mph is the killer for QQ in terms of MPG. i have 1.5 dci and i can see fuel gauge moving when i drive 80 mph :).
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
El Brillante

Post by El Brillante »

The school run is an empty road with one roundabout, that returned 11.4l (that's 25mpg) as per the photo - I'd normally see 4-5l. As I said, I've had this car from new 12 months ago and done 20,000km. I drive it every day, school run and a motorway journey on an empty toll road where 130kph gives me decent mpg normally. It's only the last two weeks that things have gone bad.

I also drive on a 80kph road, this always used to show around 4l now it's 7/8l

I'll give the filter a check over and bash, I'm in Southern Spain so its quite dusty and noted it's only replaced on a major service, not even inspected on a minor.

I'm really interested to find out about the instant economy guage in other cars whilst idling, particularly the 1.6dci as Nissan saying its normal but I genuinely don't recall it ever doing thatEl Brillante2015-07-13 19:26:41
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

See my Fuelly below.My commute is 60 miles each way. 95% dual carriageway or motorway. Approx 60% at 70mph, 30% at 50mph. Covered over 25K, so it's pretty accurate.
El Brillante

Post by El Brillante »

Langy, can you check the display at idle (assuming not stop/started obviously!) for me please?
duncho

Post by duncho »

I have 1.6dCi with average REAL consumption 6.6l /100km, or 6.1l /100km as per BC. Fuel gauge hits max on my car too. I reported it and even if Nissan says it's normal, it's not. I have never had a car (except Nissan) which would display incorrect readings while idling.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!