1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

This has been discussed at length on the previous pages......please read through the thread for answers

There is no remap of ignition, the official fix is an adjustment of pressure on the inlet side to prevent oil loss through piston ring oil control.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

SplanK, would now not be a good time to make a closing remark on this thread and close it down?
You've had the problem from day one. You chased Nissan GB up about the issue in dealer visits, letters, phone calls and emails. Now youve had the 'fix'applied and if my memory serves me correctly the issue has been subsequently monitored and found to be rectified? If this is the case then tyere is already plenty of fat to chew over on this issue without adding further confusion with extra hypothesis. To my knowledge the issue only manifested itself on the early production J11 1.2 varients and has for a long while been eliminated from the production line.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

Please keep this thread open for further testimony .

there is plenty of opinion, and even KNOWLEDGE , but as far as i can see , few FACTS.

what say NISSAN ?
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Few facts? They is plenty of fact throughout the thread, especially towards the end?! Please read from the very start. All the information is in the thread and posted several times.

Its a known issue( (incorrect sized pistons for the block, oil control ring fluttering in some cases/driving conditions, bad chain tensioner)
There are fixes (software, or replacement part, or new engine)
What is currently unknown is if the software fix will permanently resolve the issue, or just slow down the loss to get people past the warranty period
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

just on the oil usage subject..

i have noticed the exhaust tail pipe has substantial black carbon deposits.

using the oil dipstick notches for reference my oil level was about 75% when new , it is now about 50% after 5500 miles.

at that rate it will be just above the lower notch at 12000 miles .

would that be considered to be the norm?

thanks
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
uamade

Post by uamade »

jackdaw,

As discussed before in this thread. Oil which passes through piston rings will end-up in combustion chamber, after that it will end-up in catyliser (causing irreversible damage to CAT) and then it will go further via exhaust thus causing the following problems:

- emission tests failures
- CAT premature failure
- oil consumption (original problem)

Also, since our engine is direct injection, I think that there may be an issue of deposits forming in combustion chamber. This is a typical issue of TSI VW engines, and that is the main reason they are specced for Mid-SAPS oils (ACEA C3).

Our engine (at least in Switzerand) is speced for full SAPS, so it can cause deposits issue.
happy owner of Pulsar 1.2 DIG-T xtronic from Switzerland
Vovo

Post by Vovo »

Hi from Ukraine. After 5000 km engine lost 2.5 liters of oil. The dealer changed the engine mapping. It did not help, oil loss not stopped. Dealer suspects poor build quality. The total mileage of 22,000 km. The car assembled date 12.2014.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I've come from a Mini Cooper S with direct Fuel Injection - with that engine, the problem was carbon forming on the intake valves, as air from the crankcase rebreathing system that is contaminated with oil burns onto the valves.

Now, if you have pressure from the combustion chamber blowing past worn pistons, oil control / piston rings, worn or badly honed bores that the QQ appears to have, the problem will become very much worse, as more contaminated air is entering the intake system, this in turn causes even more oil to burn onto the intake valves. It's a vicious circle.

I suspect this is one of the problems that people are seeing, not only do u use a lot of oil but the performance of your engine will degrade also.

uamade wrote:jackdaw,

As discussed before in this thread. Oil which passes through piston rings will end-up in combustion chamber, after that it will end-up in catyliser (causing irreversible damage to CAT) and then it will go further via exhaust thus causing the following problems:

- emission tests failures
- CAT premature failure
- oil consumption (original problem)

Also, since our engine is direct injection, I think that there may be an issue of deposits forming in combustion chamber. This is a typical issue of TSI VW engines, and that is the main reason they are specced for Mid-SAPS oils (ACEA C3).

Our engine (at least in Switzerand) is speced for full SAPS, so it can cause deposits issue.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Referring to the mini cooper s direct injection engine (Turbo). It is very common to see sooty deposits on the exhaust tail pipe, it's more than my QQ 1.6 tdi & the Mini Countryman 1.6D i had. the DPF on both these cars left the exhaust pipe so clean, you could eat your dinner off them.
jackdaww wrote:just on the oil usage subject..

i have noticed the exhaust tail pipe has substantial black carbon deposits.

using the oil dipstick notches for reference my oil level was about 75% when new , it is now about 50% after 5500 miles.

at that rate it will be just above the lower notch at 12000 miles .

would that be considered to be the norm?

thanks
Steve in Bexleyheath

Post by Steve in Bexleyheath »

I'm new to this forum after being told about it by work colleagues.

From what I've read on the forum it seems to be the 1.2 2014 engine?

Would that be correct assumption.

Does anyone know if this is affecting the 2015 models.

I have a 2015 1.2 auto., and I am very happy with the car. It's going in to the dealer for its first service next week. Should I be asking pointed questions?

Apparently there is a list of chassis numbers affected?

Does anyone have the list?

Steve.