1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

It was a running theory but I believe some early 2015 1.2's were affected by the issue as well.

Best thing I can advise anybody with a 1.2 regardless of build date or even car is keep an eye on it. "Your mileage may very" is very apt here as not all engines were affected, and if there is a problem the loss can vary wildly between engines depending upon what's wrong.

jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

my current oil level is about 25% between notches at 7000miles/8months , ie just above lower notch..

the handbook states if level is below lower notch , top up.

so it is likely to need little if any topping up before the first service , which seems i am ok .

BUT the handbook (8-9) further states -- it is NORMAL to topup between services , depending on how car is driven -- consumption is likely to be higher with a new engine -- if consumption at 3000miles is greater than 2.5litres , see dealer (!!) ...

so its ok to use 2.5 litres in the first 3000miles?? that is over half the engine capacity -- this i find astonishing.

i must be wrong somewhere.
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
SUMO1

Post by SUMO1 »

I have also been having problems with Oil usage on my 1.2 Dig-T Engine. I have been back to the dealer at least three times now and my Vehicle is not 2 1/2 years old yet. I took t back in after less than twelve months and the first thing the guy at the dealership said when he lifted the bonnet was " Not this engine again, you will probably need a new engine mate, we have already changed three or four already" They told me to drive it for 1000 miles then bring it back for them to check it over again, amazingly it was given the all clear. I have had it back at least twice more for further queries on oil levels and it is now in again for further investigations. Hopefully greater action will be taken this time!
uamade

Post by uamade »

Hello SplanK,
SplanK wrote:Very interesting as mine is as per quote where C3 oil is recommended.

Even Opioils suggested that I should use C3 based oil!

I will see if I can take a picture later.
I had my Pulsar serviced recently and I was very demanding to tell me which oil was used. They told me Elf Evolution RN-TECH 5W-40 was used. This is a Full SAPS ACEA A3/B4 oil and it has the following specs: http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/ ... 4/8993.pdf

As you can see, my dealer did not use ACEA C3 oil with 5W-30 ...
happy owner of Pulsar 1.2 DIG-T xtronic from Switzerland
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

for the 1.2 digT HRA2DDT PETROL engine

my handbook states ----

genuine nissan engine oil 5W40

acea A3/B4

===============

no mention of C3 or SAPS or anything else for this engine.
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
SUMO1

Post by SUMO1 »

Have now had my Qashqai in for oil check. Dealer has now re-programmed the engine to tell it not to use as much oil, (I kid you not) this is what I was told. I was also told to monitor oil consumption for the next 3000 miles then return to the dealer for checking once again. I will keep you updated!
Montytb4

Post by Montytb4 »

Thought I would add an update to my QQs oil use problem.
On our holiday it used about 1/2 litre of oil.
When we got back the car went into the dealer (mid August) to have the software update done.
I thought all would be okay after this.
But, I checked the oil today & again it was below the bottom mark on the dipstick!!
I got straight onto the dealer, first off they asked had the oil level been topped up when the update was done, I presumed it had been...might not have!
Then the chap checked their computer log, it had had a 3ltr top up & warranty charge (the update) in August.
He went & spoke with his manager to check what needed to be done...to quote the manager "your piston rings are f**ked, we need to book your car in for 3 weeks, run some tests, speak to Nissan & hopefully they will agree to new engine"
No mention of a checklist or Nissan process to go through! Though from what others have said I won't hold my breath that Nissan will rollover that easy.
The dealer did say they are getting quite a few 1.2 engines back in at the moment.

After reading the bit about the cat convertor I'll make sure I raise that with them when I take it in.

One other thing, the battery completely packed up the other week! I had already booked it in for them to look at after it failed once.
They replaced the battery no problem

My QQ is a May/June 2015 model
2015 1.2 N-Tec in Bullish Bronze :-) - Moved on!
2018 1.2 N-Connecta in Vivid Blue :D
uamade

Post by uamade »

Hello everyone,

I wonder if you have any problems to check your oil level given the design of a dipstick tube: it seems to be twisted and when you pull it out, the oil is smeared thus given an imprecise reading.

At least this is on Pulsar with 1.2 DIG-T. Is there any gotchas on how to get the precise reading?
happy owner of Pulsar 1.2 DIG-T xtronic from Switzerland
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

uamade wrote:Hello everyone,

I wonder if you have any problems to check your oil level given the design of a dipstick tube: it seems to be twisted and when you pull it out, the oil is smeared thus given an imprecise reading.

At least this is on Pulsar with 1.2 DIG-T. Is there any gotchas on how to get the precise reading?
Its not a problem at all. Just make sure you dip the oil when cold, take the stick out, wipe off the oil then dip again, the level indicated will be correct.
Montytb4

Post by Montytb4 »

I had noticed that the dipstick in my 1.2 isn't the one shown in the manual, I think someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread.
I don't know if this has any effect on the readings we've been getting?
One other concern/query - if the oil is below the minimum mark why hasn't the oil warning lights been lit up??
2015 1.2 N-Tec in Bullish Bronze :-) - Moved on!
2018 1.2 N-Connecta in Vivid Blue :D