1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
uamade

Post by uamade »

Yes, my manual page looks exactly like this but in French :) In fact, it is good thing that they spec 5W-40 A3/B4 here. These oils do have a high HTHS and good amount of zinc and are exactly what our tiny flat tappet and very hot engines with turbine need ...
happy owner of Pulsar 1.2 DIG-T xtronic from Switzerland

Nightshadeqq

Post by Nightshadeqq »

My March 2015 qq has this problem I have just discovered. Car was serviced 3,000 miles ago at just over 10,000 miles. Before that the oil level was fine, and even 1,500 miles ago was slightly below full mark.
However we drove up to Northwest Scotland and did around 1,300 miles, on our return I heard a faint metallic sound on acceleration, so checked the oil and found it just registering on the dipstick. Topped up and sounds okay now, but booked in to have the remap done, glad we didn't stay where ee were another week, as god knows where I would have got the right oil from where we were staying.
Hope the remap fixes the problem as I love the car but don't want to have to carry oil with me on a long journey!
jay70

Post by jay70 »

Am I reading this right that Nissan say they can stop an engine using oil with a flash of the ECU? How exactly...lol
Barnaby

Post by Barnaby »

Hy Jay I have just had this re-map done for the high oil use problem. Nissan have now issued a technical bulletin specific to this problem and instructing their service depts. to follow the yes/no flow chart contained in it. They are insisting that all vehicles on a service or any that are specifically brought in for this problem must start at the first section, the re-map.
Coupled with that is the need to run up 3100 miles to check if the oil use is still the same but to check it before long journeys and weekly anyway to watch the oil level. If the remap fixes it or reduces the flow to get up to 3100 miles they want to see it then to check it over. Between the notches on the dip-stick is 1 litre and I suspect they will say that is acceptable and they have got rid of me until I do 3100 miles.
If the oil use is still high they check next for any noises, one has been the timing chain clattering against the case and causing the timing to go awol the other is caused by piston slap. The noises are on opposite sides of the engine so where the noise is will determine which it is, The chain needs a new tensioner to fix it and the piston fault requires a rebuild or a replacement engine to be fitted.
They have also said not to top it up with oil or they will have to start the test again as they want to hear the engine when the oil has been used. Bit strange that as I think they could easily reproduce the low oil effect in the garage and listen for any unusual noises .

All that said while my oil use is less since the re-map, it's about 15% down from the top notch in 600 miles. So at that rate of oil to miles use I'm going to be down on the bottom notch by the time I've done the 3100 miles.
I'm sure they will then say that is acceptable usage but it will not be so for me, also where is this oil going it must be going through the exhaust system and if so it must be destroying the Catalytic converter never mind what the emissions are like.
I will be asking for an emissions test to be done if all that is done is the remap

I have registered my concerns with Nissan GB and been given a Ref# and all the details have been recorded and filed there. I also have copies and notes of all my Nissan visits and paperwork raised.
I've spoken to my solicitor who has asked me to keep all this paperwork safe incase he needs to get hard with them but for now to let them attempt to fix it.

I do like the car but............................
December 2015 !.2 DIG-T Xtronic Pearl Black TEKNA
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

[quote="Barnaby"]

Hy Jay I have just had this re-map done for the high oil use problem. Nissan have now issued a technical bulletin specific to this problem and instructing their service depts. to follow the yes/no flow chart contained in it. They are insisting that all vehicles on a service or any that are specifically brought in for this problem must start at the first section, the re-map.

If the oil use is still high they check next for any noises, one has been the timing chain clattering against the case and causing the timing to go awol the other is caused by piston slap. The noises are on opposite sides of the engine so where the noise is will determine which it is, The chain needs a new tensioner to fix it and the piston fault requires a rebuild or a replacement engine to be fitted.

====================

timing chain clattering ???

piston slap ????

how worrying is this ??
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Barnaby

Post by Barnaby »

Hy Jackdaww
They apparently fitted the wrong size dia pistons to some vehicles. My words "piston slap" but as I was starting to write a novel I thought I would try to shorten my post words.
Also they have no record of which ones have these smaller dia pistons fitted.
I think they do but that it would entail nearly all the output from one engine location and as such a major recall of a range of vehicles they are only responding to anyone who complains of this high oil use.

Best
December 2015 !.2 DIG-T Xtronic Pearl Black TEKNA
jay70

Post by jay70 »

Barnaby wrote:Hy Jay I have just had this re-map done for the high oil use problem. Nissan have now issued a technical bulletin specific to this problem and instructing their service depts. to follow the yes/no flow chart contained in it. They are insisting that all vehicles on a service or any that are specifically brought in for this problem must start at the first section, the re-map.
Coupled with that is the need to run up 3100 miles to check if the oil use is still the same but to check it before long journeys and weekly anyway to watch the oil level. If the remap fixes it or reduces the flow to get up to 3100 miles they want to see it then to check it over. Between the notches on the dip-stick is 1 litre and I suspect they will say that is acceptable and they have got rid of me until I do 3100 miles.
They have also said not to top it up with oil or they will have to start the test again as they want to hear the engine when the oil has been used. Bit strange that as I think they could easily reproduce the low oil effect in the garage and listen for any unusual noises .

All that said while my oil use is less since the re-map, it's about 15% down from the top notch in 600 miles. So at that rate of oil to miles use I'm going to be down on the bottom notch by the time I've done the 3100 miles.
I'm sure they will then say that is acceptable usage but it will not be so for me, also where is this oil going it must be going through the exhaust system and if so it must be destroying the Catalytic converter never mind what the emissions are like.
I will be asking for an emissions test to be done if all that is done is the remap

I have registered my concerns with Nissan GB and been given a Ref# and all the details have been recorded and filed there. I also have copies and notes of all my Nissan visits and paperwork raised.
I've spoken to my solicitor who has asked me to keep all this paperwork safe incase he needs to get hard with them but for now to let them attempt to fix it.

I do like the car but............................

Hi Barnaby.......It sounds so me like its a Nissan stalling tactic and almost a placebo for those not mechanically savvy. An ecu remap can not control oil usage, there are no parameters within the ecu's tables that tell an engine how much oil to burn, the problem is the engine itself and no amount of mapping can change that.
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

"""

An ecu remap can not control oil usage, there are no parameters within the ecu's tables that tell an engine how much oil to burn, the problem is the engine itself and no amount of mapping can change that.

"""

i also am very sceptical on this remap theory - facts are in very short supply .
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
uamade

Post by uamade »

Time to do class action suit? :)
happy owner of Pulsar 1.2 DIG-T xtronic from Switzerland
switchback

Post by switchback »

I thought a previous post said that it was piston ring flutter(or something like that)and not the actual pistons. If I remember correctly, the remap of the ignition corrected the problem. Can't remember exactly as it dosen't affect my car. Perhaps look back a bit to see the actual post?
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.